Tithing in kind

Discuss ideas and suggestions around the Church website.
chasjewell

Tithing in kind

Post by chasjewell »

I need to find a form for my stock broker to transfer stocks to the Church. This should be under "tithing in kind". I cannot find anything on the site that addresses this.

Charles.jewell@sbcglobal.net
nmecantwin73

Re: Tithing in kind

Post by nmecantwin73 »

chasjewell wrote:I need to find a form for my stock broker to transfer stocks to the Church. This should be under "tithing in kind". I cannot find anything on the site that addresses this.
LDS Philanthropies should be able to assist you with this type of donation. https://www.ldsphilanthropies.org/gift- ... securities
SpigarelliSJ
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by SpigarelliSJ »

I found this on the tech wiki that might be helpful - http://tech.churchofjesuschrist.org/wik ... ns_in_kind
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

All my stock is held in my 401(k) retirement funds. I wonder if I could pay tithing directly from there, or if I would need to take a taxable distribution during the donation process.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

It might be possible depending on your age. My mother did it this year for her tithing. See https://www.ldsphilanthropies.org/gift- ... ts/ira-qcd for details. It does say the distribution has to be from an IRA so I'm not sure if you can do it from a 401(k). But it might be possible to do a rollover distribution from the 401(k) to an IRA and then do the QCD. You'd probably want to talk to a financial adviser of some sort to be certain.
swigginton

Post by swigginton »

I've done this for several years. The instructions given in the link to the Wiki are how I did it. There is no form for the broker. You need to call the Donations-in-kind office, tell them the name of your brokerage is and they will provide you with the church's account number for that brokerage (they have accounts with all the major brokerage firms). You then have your broker initiate a transfer from your account to the church's account and follow the other instructions in the wiki article so the church can match the transfer with your membership account. I did the transfer with a letter attached to an email to my broker. The church only accepts publicly traded stocks. Super easy once you do it the first time.
malindsay

Post by malindsay »

The church only accepts publicly traded stocks. Does that also include ETFs. They are considered stocks.

Return to “Main Church Website”