Windows 7 Support Discontinued for Clerk Computers

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
izakhearn

Windows 7 Support Discontinued for Clerk Computers

Post by izakhearn »

Recieved this today

Windows 7 Notification:
Microsoft will discontinue support of the Windows 7 operating system on January 14, 2020. After that date, a message from Microsoft will display on all Windows 7 clerk computers recommending users upgrade these systems to Windows 10. Please do not upgrade your clerk computer as recommended. If your clerk computer is old and needs to be replaced, contact your facility manager for a new clerk computer with Windows 10 operating system. The Church will be moving to a new computing standard near the end of 2020. If your clerk computer doesn’t need to be replaced immediately, please wait to upgrade until the new clerk computer standard is available later this year.

Can anyone shed some light on what the new computer standard will be ?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Windows 7 Support Discontinued for Clerk Computers

Post by russellhltn »

First I've heard of it.

The new standard could be anything from just a new make/model of computer to something different.

If I had to take a wild guess - I'd say Chromebook. It's already been in use in schools. A web browser with some android apps would cover most of the needs if MLS goes away. My big concern there is how long the device would get OS updates.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
MurdockM

Post by MurdockM »

It made me wonder if;

New standard = Thin Client,

and / or = Linux Terminal Server Project (LTSP)

Existing computers can be converted to Thin Clients. ...
izakhearn

Post by izakhearn »

I don't think we will be changing OS.

Also thin clients might also not be the best as that involves a lot of networking setup or even internet connection if it is remotely done. Which would make support a headache.

Might just be a new service provider in stead of Dell.

But all this is speculation until we know more.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

I can understand not shelling out money for a Windows 10 upgrade, but it's widely known that upgrading to Win 10 is still available free from Microsoft. This would give the older Windows 7 PC's new life until they're replaced.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
izakhearn

Post by izakhearn »

They are doing windows 10 . They made the new tool for doing the windows 10 installation where you just run an exe and fill in the blanks. So we will still be running windows as that is the best and most const effciteve. I can not see us running a linux distro as that would have a lot of support issues.

I am excited to see the new changes on the system.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Well, that's odd they'd have us hold off for just a new setup tool. There must be more to it. Like switching to Desktop as a Service (DaaS).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Does any of this affect those who already upgraded to and are running Windows 10?
Biggles

Post by Biggles »

lajackson wrote:Does any of this affect those who already upgraded to and are running Windows 10?
No affect. As W10 is now the current supported operating system for Clerk computers.

Return to “Clerk Computers”