Cub Scout program

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
kylems-p40

Cub Scout program

Post by kylems-p40 »

I'm wondering who has some experience and understanding in the way a Cub Scout program should be run (or is best run, in their experience).
  • What callings report to whom? (line of authority)
  • Who are the key players in making it all work?
  • Who has the spiritual authority to make pack decisions?
    • The budget total, and contributions of each den.
    • The overall direction of the program.
Any references to CHI or otherwise would be most helpful!

I'm really in need of some understanding here (and soon)! Please join in the discussion.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kylems wrote:Any references to CHI or otherwise would be most helpful!
Some helpful online resources are available in the Scouting in Primary (US and Canada) area of lds.org (under Serving in the Church > Primary).
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

kylems wrote:I'm wondering who has some experience and understanding in the way a Cub Scout program should be run (or is best run, in their experience).
Any references to CHI or otherwise would be most helpful!

I'm really in need of some understanding here (and soon)! Please join in the discussion.
For references see the CHI, book 2, p 237-238; and the Scouting Handbook.

Essentially the bishop provides the direction for Scouting and the primary presidency is responsible for Scouting programs for Primary-age boys. For 8- to 10-year-old boys the Cub Scout program applies. For 11-year-old boys the Boy Scout program applies. Regardless of the program the primary presidency has all the authority to run the program, recommend callings to the bishop, and the budget for the programs.

Information on funding for Cub Scouting is found in the CHI, book 2, p 237 & 238. Information for the leadership of Cub Scouting is found on p 230-231 and in the Scouting Handbook.

So for each of your bullets this is a brief summary
    All Cub Scout callings report to the primary presidency who is then responsible to the bishop
    The primary presidency will decide what callings are necessary to meet the needs of the primary age boys. But generally a Cub Committee would be called to assist the primary presidency and the Scouting leaders. Some of the Cub Scout leader positions needed would be Cubmaster, Den Leader (number dependent on number of Dens), and Webelos Leader. Assitants may becalled as needed.
    The Cubmaster under the direction of the primary presidency runs the pack.
      The budget for all Scouting programs in primary comes from the primary budget.
      Under the direction of the bishop the primary presidency runs the program. The primary presidency then directs the Cubmaster.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

Also be aware that 2 deep trained leaders are part of the Boy Scout program that is often overlooked. Both the training & additional leader are for the safety of both scouts and leaders. They are not luxuries and should not be overlooked.
greggo

Post by greggo »

scion wrote:Also be aware that 2 deep trained leaders are part of the Boy Scout program that is often overlooked. Both the training & additional leader are for the safety of both scouts and leaders. They are not luxuries and should not be overlooked.
I was going to bring this up as well.
In certain areas, the BSA policy is more restrictive than church policy, and in other areas, the reverse is true. Since the church accepts BSA policies and procedures we should adhere to the strictest policy in each case.

By BSA policy, the minimum two leaders meeting with the boys must both be registered with the BSA (and therefore gone through a background check). By church policy, the minimum of two leaders is only required if one is male, and they then must both be male unless they are a married couple. The BSA has no policy regarding the gender of the leaders.

When I was the pack committee chair, we allowed a parent to be the second leader even if they were not registered with the BSA. And in some rare cases, if only one leader was available, she met with the boys with the door open. But in the strictest sense, these were against policy.

As you know there are other areas where the church operates cub scout and boy scout programs different from the norm. I found the resources at the BSA LDS Relationships website to be very helpful (especially the Scouting and the Church pamphlet).
http://ldsbsa.org/resources.html
There are also other helpful resources at the following site:
http://lds-scouts.org/Resources.asp
scion-p40

Post by scion-p40 »

Awesome links! Thank you!

As someone who did not grow up around scouts, I read each scout book before my son reached the next age, then worked with him to set goals. Sometimes the BSA directions differed from LDS instructions. However, nobody told us that and I couldn't locate any source that explained those differences.

He was very disappointed when, after earning a pile of beltloops, badges, & pins and the arrow of light as a Webelo, he was not allowed to move on to Boy Scouts due to his age. Having to wait several months to move made it much harder to get him started in Boy Scouts. Had I been aware of that situation in advance, I would have approached it differently and slowed down what he was getting done.
larq

Post by larq »

Greggo wrote:I found the resources at the BSA LDS Relationships website to be very helpful (especially the Scouting and the Church pamphlet).
http://ldsbsa.org/resources.html
There are also other helpful resources at the following site:
http://lds-scouts.org/Resources.asp
Thanks for pointing us to these resources!
larq

Post by larq »

scion wrote:Also be aware that 2 deep trained leaders are part of the Boy Scout program that is often overlooked. Both the training & additional leader are for the safety of both scouts and leaders. They are not luxuries and should not be overlooked.
Good point!
rwbris18

Post by rwbris18 »

I've been in cub scouts several times. The basic understanding is that in Cub Scouts the PARENTS are the instructors/motivaters/planners as boys at 8-10 years of age only want to goof around and don't have the experience or organizational skills to do it themselves like the Boy Scouts.

Pack meetings "goof around" is in the hands of a good Pack Master. The more outgoing and funner the better.

My experience in LDS units is that parents want to leave it to the "Leaders of the program" when it is up to them and no one else. A good Committee Chairman will explain this to each parent... and every parent should be on the committee.
greggo

Post by greggo »

kf5cfz wrote: Pack meetings "goof around" is in the hands of a good Pack Master.
I know I'm nit-picking here, but the correct term is "Cubmaster."

Return to “General Discussions”