Link two family tree after marriage

Discussions about using and improving the new FamilySearch online application.
marianomarini

Link two family tree after marriage

Post by marianomarini »

The husband of my daugther sign in for NFS just one week after their marriage.
He found out that his wife (my daugther) was already connected to him but me, and my ancestors. I try to connect them to my family tree, and vice versa, but the only way seem to enter again my data.
Is it possible to connect family trees of living person? If yes, How? If not, Why?
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

marianomarini_vi wrote:The husband of my daugther sign in for NFS just one week after their marriage.
He found out that his wife (my daugther) was already connected to him but me, and my ancestors. I try to connect them to my family tree, and vice versa, but the only way seem to enter again my data.
Is it possible to connect family trees of living person? If yes, How? If not, Why?
NFS has strict rules regarding information about living people. Basically you can only see your own direct ancestors and your spouse. You can't see your spouse's ancestors, because you aren't related to them.

The only way to connect family trees that have living people (where the living people are not directly related to you) is to enter all the living people into your family tree until you can connect up to deceased people.

The reason for these rules is the strict privacy laws in most countries. Because NFS is used throughout the world, the rules have to be restrictive enough to satisfy the laws in all the countries where it is deployed.

When those living people you added do finally pass away, you can replace the records you entered with the records that will then be public and delete the temporary records you created simply for the purpose of broadening your family tree.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

Interesting question...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I would suggest not adding living people unless it's required to connect you to your deceased ancestors. Membership information will be added to nFS automatically as each member passes away. If you pass away before the people you've added, there may never be anyone to mark them deceased. And because they are living, the won't appear to anyone else.

If you wish to deal with your son-in-laws line, simply search for it. I don't think they have to be linked to you in order for you to work on them.

Another route would be to use a program that syncs with nFS like PAF/FamilyInsight, RootsMagic or Ancestral Quest. You can add living people to those programs and link the deceased ancestors as desired.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

Ok. So the better thing, for my daugther, is waiting for my departure to add me and my (her) ancestors into her pedegree.
I understand privacy policy (in Italy is very strait) but if NFS can add wife there is no break of privacy adding also her relatives, living or dead.
Anyway, as we say in Italy: "I don't understand but I accomodate".
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).

Return to “FamilySearch Family Tree Application”