Beta Calendar Issues

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Techgy wrote:How are these two sites related?
I would assume that the Beta site is being used to "beta" test new software and that corrections to the beta calendar would eventually be incorporated into the calendar on the "labs" site. True?
I imagine you are thinking that "beta" means still under active development and feature addition. But I think that most companies actually attribute the term with the idea that the product is pretty much done as planned and is undergoing extensive testing to work out any last bugs before major release.

In this case, the "labs" site is more like an "alpha" release or "CTP (Community Technology Preview)" of the product. Going from "labs" to "beta" would be a promotion toward official release for the product, within LDSTech's definition of the terms.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

mkmurray wrote:I imagine you are thinking that "beta" means still under active development and feature addition. But I think that most companies actually attribute the term with the idea that the product is pretty much done as planned and is undergoing extensive testing to work out any last bugs before major release.

In this case, the "labs" site is more like an "alpha" release or "CTP (Community Technology Preview)" of the product. Going from "labs" to "beta" would be a promotion toward official release for the product, within LDSTech's definition of the terms.
Given this definition I would assume that the "labs" site would probably not be updated and that any corrections to the software would be handled in the "beta" directory - assuming the software in labs made it that far. As a general statement.

I would also believe that any suggestions for additions or corrections would of necessity have to be given from the "beta" site to most effective.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
dobrichelovek

Beta calendar/directory issues/questions.

Post by dobrichelovek »

Calendar:

I have not seen it explicitly stated, but since I am a ward website administrator, and I do not have admin rights on the beta calendar site, I would guess that the automatic admin rights only apply when such a calling is designated in MLS and the LUWS admin designation doesn't apply here, is that accurate? If it's not, then I am confused as to why I don't have access.

Directory:

I don't really get anything in the beta directory site at all besides seeing that there are three columns, a search bar, and a print button. Basically no data. I would assume that beta would suggest that I should be getting at least some basic data at this time. I am guessing that this needs to be reported, but I wanted to check here first. Since I wasn't given access during the labs trial, I am wondering if there is still a restriction to certain units in place that needs to be lifted.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

dobrichelovek wrote:Calendar:

I have not seen it explicitly stated, but since I am a ward website administrator, and I do not have admin rights on the beta calendar site, I would guess that the automatic admin rights only apply when such a calling is designated in MLS and the LUWS admin designation doesn't apply here, is that accurate? If it's not, then I am confused as to why I don't have access.
One of the great things about the new calendar system is that the source code is available to the community. Looking at the source code it indicates that the following positions get default approver rights (this is for a ward--it's similar for the stake):
  • Bishopric
  • Ward Clerk and all assistant clerks
  • Executive Secretary
  • Website Administrator
To get the right you have to be listed in CDOL with one of these positions. To be listed in CDOL you have to have the position listed in your ward's MLS using the correct standarized calling. If you are website administrator and you don't have approver rights then you probably aren't listed with the calling in MLS or you're listed using a non-standard calling.
dobrichelovek wrote: Directory:

I don't really get anything in the beta directory site at all besides seeing that there are three columns, a search bar, and a print button. Basically no data. I would assume that beta would suggest that I should be getting at least some basic data at this time. I am guessing that this needs to be reported, but I wanted to check here first. Since I wasn't given access during the labs trial, I am wondering if there is still a restriction to certain units in place that needs to be lifted.
I'd report it. I expect it's some other problem but if there are restrictions it should probably tell you that rather than just showing no data. I never asked for access to the labs site but I have full access to the beta so I don't think it's related to labs access.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Does the beta have any events pre-defined? I think you're supposed to see a blank calendar if no one else has put anything there for you ward/stake.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
srweight

MLS Ward or MLS Stake callings list

Post by srweight »

Alan_Brown wrote:I'm not sure where you were looking, but those callings are most definitely in the standard callings lists for MLS. They are listed under Other Callings; at the ward level it is called "Website Administrator" and for the stake level it is "Stake Website Administrator."

If you use the standard callings in MLS, they will be added to CDOL. I know that for certain, since I am a stake website administrator, properly entered in MLS with a standard calling, and I appear in CDOL with that calling
do I login to the ward level of MLS or Stake level to identify "Stake Website Administrator"
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

srweight wrote:do I login to the ward level of MLS or Stake level to identify "Stake Website Administrator"
Stake (.....)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

srweight wrote:do I login to the ward level of MLS or Stake level to identify "Stake Website Administrator"
You have to login to Stake MLS to specify the person with the standard calling "Stake Website Administrator".
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

RussellHltn wrote:Does the beta have any events pre-defined? I think you're supposed to see a blank calendar if no one else has put anything there for you ward/stake.
No events are pre-defined. The calendar is blank unless someone else in your ward has already been busy.
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

dobrichelovek wrote:Directory:

I have full access to my ward's directory. The only thing I can think of is to make sure you are indeed logged in.

Return to “Calendar”