Streaming Mobile Video

Discussions on how emerging technology can assist the distribution of media content through mobile, kiosks, Internet, social networks, etc.
LeonardMC
Community Moderators

Streaming Mobile Video

Post by LeonardMC »

Recent reports, here, here, and here, show that smartphone sales are increasing at a rapid rate. In addition, it appears that the smartphone will overtake traditional PC sales by 2011.

• If this is true, what type of content will users want on their mobile device?
  • Will they watch videos? And if so, how?
  • What applications will need to be created so that they can view video anywhere at anytime?
I have heard, but not substantiated, that in order to stream video on a mobile device that the video needs to be encoded to the specific device. In essence there is a need to encode time and time again due to the lack of standards associated with mobile video. What are your thoughts?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

leonardmc wrote:What are your thoughts?
More important then smartphone sales will be the data packages. I would doubt anyone would stream video unless they buy the "unlimited" package.

Both iPhone and Android will do YouTube.

I personally can't see running video on a phone except:

- Down time when traveling
- Long commutes by plane, train or bus
- In answer to someone's question (in which case short well indexed clips are what's needed)
- In support of a lesson (with appropriate AV cable)

Otherwise, I'd expect to be using at least a laptop/netbook for the larger screen and ease of viewing. In other words it may become significant, but I don't think it will become dominate.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russelljd

Post by russelljd »

RussellHltn wrote:More important then smartphone sales will be the data packages.
It seems like the two go hand in hand most of the time. I know that at least with Verizon, they won't let you buy a BlackBerry without buying the unlimited data package that goes with it. It seems like the majority of the time the reason people are buying smartphone is for the data usage.

As far as encoding goes, most modern phones will play an MP4 without any problems. I think the bigger issue is the size of the file and if the data connection on the phone can buffer it fast enough. The only issue would arise would be when the standard drifts away from MP4, but that happens with PCs as well.

I could see using video on a mobile device only when I don't have my laptop available which doesn't happen too often. :D I would rather have the bigger screen and generally faster speeds.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

russelljd wrote:It seems like the two go hand in hand most of the time.
Well, yes. At least in the US. But I hesitate to use that assumption, especially when we might be looking at a world-wide audience.

I think an affordable pathway is more important to usage then the phone. Otherwise we're limiting ourselves. I wouldn't want to shut out someone (perhaps a teen) with a basic phone with an acceptable data package just because we decide to only support smart phones. I'd want to start by looking at the "lessor" phones and moving up only if we can't make it work rather then starting with smart phones and having to re-engineer to move down.

Since you mention Verizon, they have a V Cast service in limited areas that provide a different means of getting audio and video at a lower charge then the unlimited data plan. I don't know if the other vendors have anything like that.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
SheffieldTR
Community Moderators

Post by SheffieldTR »

I have personally watched a Meetinghouse Webcast on my windows smart phone, albeit for testing purposes, but it does raise another possibility for home bound members without internet...
Troy
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russelljd wrote:It seems like the majority of the time the reason people are buying smartphone is for the data usage.
If that's true, then I'm definitely not in the majority. I bought my smartphone to have a large resource at my fingertips of contact information, appointments, scriptures, Ensigns, lesson materials, etc. I even have it setup as a navigation assistant using the onboard GPS chip and pre-stored maps. With all it can do, I just don't see the need for an expensive data plan.
kennethjorgensen
Community Moderators

Post by kennethjorgensen »

Mikerowaved wrote:If that's true, then I'm definitely not in the majority. I bought my smartphone to have a large resource at my fingertips of contact information, appointments, scriptures, Ensigns, lesson materials, etc. I even have it setup as a navigation assistant using the onboard GPS chip and pre-stored maps. With all it can do, I just don't see the need for an expensive data plan.
I think it is becoming more and more true what Russell said although I am in the same situation as Mike with regards to my requirements.

I believe the mobile smartphone market will grow and as it takes a hold we will discover greater potential through new innovation but my personal sticking point so far has always been the screensize limitation. I would therefore say my excitement with the smartphone market is that of being "cautious and willing to listen".
zabaki

Post by zabaki »

Return to “Digital Media”