Calendar Editors Problem with Scheduling Resources

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
kurtdarling

Calendar Editors Problem with Scheduling Resources

Post by kurtdarling »

A problem just appeared with calendar editors reviewing already scheduled events. For example if I click on an already scheduled event, the pop-up window shows that the entire resource/building has been scheduled when in fact only the Relief Society Room is scheduled. If a non-calendar editor clicks on the same event, they see that the RS room was scheduled. This happens for every event I have scheduled and it happens only when a calendar editor accesses an event. Note that when an event is edited and the possible conflicts appear at the bottom of the box, the correct room assignments show up. But it is impossible for one of our calendar editors to click on an event and see what locations within the resource have actually been scheduled - only non calendar editors can view this. This makes it impossible for a calendar editor to verify that an event has the correct resource location assigned to it.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kurtdarling wrote:A problem just appeared with calendar editors reviewing already scheduled events. For example if I click on an already scheduled event, the pop-up window shows that the entire resource/building has been scheduled when in fact only the Relief Society Room is scheduled. If a non-calendar editor clicks on the same event, they see that the RS room was scheduled. This happens for every event I have scheduled and it happens only when a calendar editor accesses an event. Note that when an event is edited and the possible conflicts appear at the bottom of the box, the correct room assignments show up. But it is impossible for one of our calendar editors to click on an event and see what locations within the resource have actually been scheduled - only non calendar editors can view this. This makes it impossible for a calendar editor to verify that an event has the correct resource location assigned to it.
Have you tried this today? Because as reported on the thread "Use entire location for this event" Always Checked When Viewing Events, I think this problem was just fixed last night.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

aebrown wrote:Have you tried this today? Because as reported on the thread "Use entire location for this event" Always Checked When Viewing Events, I think this problem was just fixed last night.

I just tried this and when I go into an event I added yesterday, with a location of Cultural Hall, the evnt edit screen shows with the check box for "Use entire building" checked. I unchecked it, got the screen to choose only the Cultural Hall again and saved it (after checking for conflicts). I went back in again immediately after and once again the entire building was showing as scheduled.

I fixed it again and this time signed in using my wife's ID. When I view the event now, the event shows with only the Cultural Hall checked...but, she has the ability to edit what resources are needed even when she cannot change anything else about the event. Not sure if it matters but she is in the Primary presidency and so she can add events to the Primary calendar but this event was on our General Ward Activities calendar and not one she should be able to edit. Is anyone else seeing this?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

RBeatse wrote:I just tried this and when I go into an event I added yesterday, with a location of Cultural Hall, the evnt edit screen shows with the check box for "Use entire building" checked. I unchecked it, got the screen to choose only the Cultural Hall again and saved it (after checking for conflicts). I went back in again immediately after and once again the entire building was showing as scheduled.

This is indeed the problem I mentioned in the thread "Use entire location for this event" Always Checked When Viewing Events. I am absolutely certain I saw it working properly this morning, but now when I checked it again, the problem is back. I can't explain why.
RBeatse wrote:I fixed it again and this time signed in using my wife's ID. When I view the event now, the event shows with only the Cultural Hall checked...but, she has the ability to edit what resources are needed even when she cannot change anything else about the event. Not sure if it matters but she is in the Primary presidency and so she can add events to the Primary calendar but this event was on our General Ward Activities calendar and not one she should be able to edit. Is anyone else seeing this?
As mentioned in that other thread, only those who have edit permissions for the calendar that contains the event see the "Use entire location for event" checkbox being erroneously checked. That explains why she sees only the Cultural Hall being checked, and should give you some comfort that the underlying database does still have the correct resource selected, even if it is incorrectly displayed for you. However, I can't explain why she has the ability to change the selected resources for a calendar she doesn't edit. I would guess that this is related to to the fact that she is an editor for some calendar. That would be a good thing to report using the Submit Feedback link on the main lds.org page.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

RBeatse wrote:...and this time signed in using my wife's ID....
I can't tell you how many times I sign in with my wife's ID to check things on the calendar. Many times I've wished there was a "sign in as a non-administrator" option!
mhicken

Same problem

Post by mhicken »

I've given a specific user rights to all of the individual stake calendars. I also added him as a calendar approver although I can't tell if this gives stake or ward rights. He and I are both experiencing the same problem. While editing an event, uncheck "Use entire location for this event" and check one of the sub-resources. Check for conflicts and save. Then open the event again and "Use entire resource..." is still checked. We tried clearing browser cache and closing all browsers. This is definitely a bug in the calendar application.

I'm a Javascript/CSS guy and I'm happy to help test if you guys need more information.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

mhicken wrote:I'm a Javascript/CSS guy and I'm happy to help test if you guys need more information.
Since the calendar is a community project, you can continue your talents by joining the community project. Information on how to get started can be found at this link: http://tech.lds.org/index.php/contribute
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

mhicken wrote:I've given a specific user rights to all of the individual stake calendars. I also added him as a calendar approver although I can't tell if this gives stake or ward rights.
As described in the calendar Help, a stake calendar approver does not overlay ward/branch approver rights. They are separate domains requiring separate rights. This is a shift from the way the administrator rights were implemented in the classic LUWS.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mbell2034

Post by mbell2034 »

This has been an issue for me also. The only work around that I've been using (and it's a pain) is to create a fake "test" event at the same time and check the boxes for the resources I am checking. When you try to save the event it will tell you if that resource is taken or not.

The calendar IS saving the resource selections in the background, but when you go to the event you can't verify that because the "use entire location" box is checked.

This should be an urgent fix item if anyone with authority is reading this.

Thanks for all the posts everyone. I love using this site for my calling.

Return to “Calendar”