Sync single calendars to Google

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
bweight

Sync single calendars to Google

Post by bweight »

Just wondering how the new calendar system is suppose to function when syncing to google calendars.

Is the link that is provided (and copied to google) associated with:

a) all the calendars I have access to (even if not selected)
b) only the calendars I have selected at the time I copy the link (unique links created time I go to look at it. This would allow you to sync each of the calendars you are interested in separately to google).
c) Or is the link unique to the ID and whatever is selected in the account is synced to the calendar
d) other

Just wondering because when I originally synced, I ended up with every single stake and ward activity on my google calendar which was way too cluttered and hard to use. Later, when I redid it I ended up with less, but still nothing that seemed to make sense. Perhaps there are still some bugs being worked out. Just trying to figure out what I should be expecting.

If there isn't a way to sync single calendars or sub groups, then the feature is far less useful and unfortunately I don't have an Iphone/Ipad to use the new apps.

Thanks for the feedback and information!

Great job by the way. I love the efforts to get everything brought up to current tech. It will be far more useful.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

bweight wrote:Just wondering how the new calendar system is suppose to function when syncing to google calendars.
Currently all the calendars to which you subscribe should be the calendars that sync. All those calendars are listed on the right side of the calendar page. Even those you have selected to not view will be synced. There is no provision to select a subset of the calendars to which you have subscribed. More information is available by clicking the calendar Help button. There are problems with the sync feature but they are working to resolve those issues.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

There was a fix released (the first week of January 2011) to the sync process that should have resolved most of the issues by now. jdlessley, thanks for pointing out the help material. Most of the answers about the sync are on the Syncing with Third-Party Calendars page. I'll update that page with any more information as needed.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

bweight wrote: If there isn't a way to sync single calendars or sub groups, then the feature is far less useful
johnsonth wrote:There was a fix released (the first week of January 2011) to the sync process that should have resolved most of the issues by now.
johnsonth,
Is it in the works to be able to have some control over which calendars sync? I must agree with bweight...syncing my 18 calendars all rolled into one really isn't useful to me, and would appreciate an option to decide what to sync.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnsonth wrote:There was a fix released (the first week of January 2011) to the sync process that should have resolved most of the issues by now.

It may have fixed some problems, but there's still a big out other there. I have the same problem as reported by many others. The URL is fine, and pasting it in a browser retrieves a file. But when pasted into Google, all I get is a "Importing calendar from URL..." that goes away only when I click somewhere in the calendar. The events do not show up at all - even days later.

If I download the file, I can import it into Google no problem. It just seems to be a problem with google's servers talking to the church's servers. I have no idea which end is at fault.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bbawden

Post by bbawden »

It may have fixed some problems, but there's still a big out other there.
I agree, I am still having the same issues. It does not appear to be fixed to me.
samliddicott

Post by samliddicott »

bbawden wrote:I agree, I am still having the same issues. It does not appear to be fixed to me.

if it still doesn't work for you, please see the following link and those that follow it: https://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.p ... #post55552https://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?6303-Calendar-sync-issues/page9
tortdog

Post by tortdog »

I'm currently drafting plans for a sanctuary dedicated to Sam.

Return to “Calendar”