New post: Wireless Internet Access in Meetinghouses.

Discuss the feature articles on the Tech Home Page.
tomjoht

New post: Wireless Internet Access in Meetinghouses.

Post by tomjoht »

We added a new post on the blog: Wireless Internet Access in Meetinghouses. http://bit.ly/q5nRI4

The article discusses the growing trend of adding wireless Internet to all meetinghouses.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

johnsonth wrote:We added a new post on the blog: Wireless Internet Access in Meetinghouses. http://bit.ly/q5nRI4

The article discusses the growing trend of adding wireless Internet to all meetinghouses.
It's a good article -- thanks for adding it.

One suggestion: be careful about using abbreviations with no definition. I happen to know what ICS (Information and Communications Systems) is, but I doubt that all your readers do. And I had to look up MFD to find Meetinghouse Facilities Department.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

johnsonth wrote:We added a new post on the blog: Wireless Internet Access in Meetinghouses. http://bit.ly/q5nRI4

I like they way it stresses the positives, which is, of course, why the church is heading this direction.
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

Alan, thanks for noting the acronyms. This article originally appeared on the organization's intranet, and I wondered why it wasn't published externally. In repurposing the article for LDSTech, I forgot to remove the acronyms. I'm not even sure how many people know what MFD stands for internally. Also, just so you know, with ICS, the S now stands for services rather than systems. That change was made within the last few months.

I actually removed both acronyms just now in the article. I doubt many people outside the church care about which department does what.

Ironically, even as I published this article this morning, tomorrow I need wifi to show a video clip for a lesson, and despite the fact that my meetinghouse was recently built and completely wired, we don't have wifi or even network ports available for members. Internet in meetinghouses is more of a cultural challenge than a technical challenge. I suspect it really won't catch on until members can authenticate with their LDS Account to go online.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

johnsonth wrote:despite the fact that my meetinghouse was recently built and completely wired, we don't have wifi or even network ports available for members. Internet in meetinghouses is more of a cultural challenge than a technical challenge. I suspect it really won't catch on until members can authenticate with their LDS Account to go online.

When Internet was originally rolled out, the stake president was allowed to decide if they'd install wireless and who would have access. LDS Account would bypass that authority. The church will likely have to impose standards rather then leaving it to the SP's discretion before all the meetinghouses are the same.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
tomjoht

Post by tomjoht »

I'm glad to see that the Deseret News quoted from this article. See High Speed Internet Coming to 85% of Meetinghouses. There are about 20 comments on the article as well.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Does FM really understand this? I have seen NO sense of urgency from them in my stake. It would seem that if this is the goal for the end of the year that we'd see more messaging about it. Where is the letter from the Presiding Bishop to add to the sense of urgency? I would need something like that to move my FM group in this direction.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Lack of communication is one of the biggest problems, in my opinion. I did notice Cat-5 wiring has been installed in our building (discovered because the installation accidentally disconnected our dial-up access to transmit Tithing - it's a good thing I usually go up Friday or Saturday evening to transmit so we have accurate records for the inevitable organizational list requests on Sunday...).

Since then, the Stake Financial Auditors have been told they will do the audits online this time (found out because one of the stake auditors is the Bishop's Executive Secretary). Also, the Family History Consultants were told in a Stake Meeting that we would soon have wifi in all the buildings.

One would think the Agent Bishop (at least) would be told the schedule, but no. Not to complain, but this reminds me of the CUBS rollout...
MatthewEhle

Post by MatthewEhle »

RussellHltn wrote:When Internet was originally rolled out, the stake president was allowed to decide if they'd install wireless and who would have access. LDS Account would bypass that authority. The church will likely have to impose standards rather then leaving it to the SP's discretion before all the meetinghouses are the same.
A requirement of the project is that stake presidents will still be able to place restrictions on internet access. For example, people under a certain age may not be given access. In fact, we are currently working on solving some of the technical challenges around this requirement.
Matthew Ehle
Access Management Engineer
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

matthewehle wrote:A requirement of the project is that stake presidents will still be able to place restrictions on internet access. For example, people under a certain age may not be given access. In fact, we are currently working on solving some of the technical challenges around this requirement.

That could be a challenge. Age is not a good predictor of who is Youth and who is in Elders/Relief Society.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Featured Article Discussions”