New post: Wireless Internet Access in Meetinghouses.

Discuss the feature articles on the Tech Home Page.
PNMarkW2

Post by PNMarkW2 »

RussellHltn wrote:That could be a challenge. Age is not a good predictor of who is Youth and who is in Elders/Relief Society.

And given the number of smart phones and other wireless internet enabled devices carried by members of all ages, an age restriction is just so much security theater, it doesn't really accomplish anything of value. Our deacons quorum president has more access to the internet on his phone then I do in the clerks office, so if he has a reason to use the building wifi, I have no problem giving him the password.
~Mark
Ward Clerk
Colonial Heights Ward
Portland Oregon Stake

-----
"For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three."
---Alice Kahn
obrientd

Post by obrientd »

Speaking on Behalf of Many FM's. We have had NO instruction to put wireless in all meeting houses. Many meeting houses previeously had internet with the old Cisco Pix box and the Cisco ASA firewalls. We have been told Not to change all of these units. The new 881 work with Wireless and with the 1041 access points added to the buildings there can be wireless through out the buildings but this is only for buildings with the new 881 firewall.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

obrientd wrote:Speaking on Behalf of Many FM's. We have had NO instruction to put wireless in all meeting houses. Many meeting houses previeously had internet with the old Cisco Pix box and the Cisco ASA firewalls. We have been told Not to change all of these units. The new 881 work with Wireless and with the 1041 access points added to the buildings there can be wireless through out the buildings but this is only for buildings with the new 881 firewall.
Let me ask a clarifying question... do you mean your Regional FM office has sent no instructions... I believe this can vary from Region to Region, just through observation.....

So I would restate what you've said here as:

Current Buildings that received the PIX (or potentially a ASA 5505 if equipment was replaced) and Cisco 12xx Wireless (usually for a FHC) are not to be replaced with the Cisco 881W and the Cisco 1041N.
Current Buildings that added Meetinghouse Internet prior to the Cisco 881W being available and have an ASA 5505 are not to be replaced with the Cisco 881W and the Cisco 1041N
Current Buildings that do not have Meetinghouse internet are to start installing the Cisco 881W and Cisco 1041N - in all buildings

this still isn't clear and leaves me wondering about the middle category... do i still need to order Cisco gear for all my buildings? Help?

Has anyone tried to put the 1041N with a ASA 5505 - I don't think the 881W is acting as a controller, so I think the 1041N should be viable with the ASA 5505....

This should be clarified for all
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JohnShaw wrote:So I would restate what you've said here as:

Current Buildings that received the PIX (or potentially a ASA 5505 if equipment was replaced) and Cisco 12xx Wireless (usually for a FHC) are not to be replaced with the Cisco 881W and the Cisco 1041N.
Current Buildings that added Meetinghouse Internet prior to the Cisco 881W being available and have an ASA 5505 are not to be replaced with the Cisco 881W and the Cisco 1041N
Current Buildings that do not have Meetinghouse internet are to start installing the Cisco 881W and Cisco 1041N - in all buildings

this still isn't clear and leaves me wondering about the middle category... do i still need to order Cisco gear for all my buildings? Help?
What middle catagory?

JohnShaw wrote:Has anyone tried to put the 1041N with a ASA 5505 - I don't think the 881W is acting as a controller, so I think the 1041N should be viable with the ASA 5505....

As I understand it, the 1041N will work fine with any and all firewalls. The only issue is that you may need a power injector as not all firewalls supply power on the ethernet port.

Another problem is that the PIX 501 by default only supported 10 Internet users. Unless that was expanded to 50, I'm not sure as I'd install wireless as you'd quickly run out of users.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

The ASA 5505 does have 2 ports, POE ports, that will power Wireless Access Points without the power injectors... anything more than that will require an injector or power outlet located close to the WAP.

My thoughts then are this:
  • If I have a PIX... most likely I already have the Cisco 12xx series Wireless Access Points... so the buildings have wireless (need to investigate having more than 10 connections)
  • If I have an ASA 5505 - for Wireless install I would order Cisco 1041N.... I can use 2 of the ports to power the 1041's - more than 2 would require an injector - might also require GSD to install the 1041N
  • If I have an 881W, the firewall already comes with Wireless, and additional 1041N REQUIRE injectors, and when plugged in configure themselves automatically without need to call the GSD
Does this cover all scenarios? I guess the last question is... if I implemented any kind of non-cisco wireless... does the church want us to replace that with the Cisco 1041N's?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

JohnShaw wrote:lI guess the last question is... if I implemented any kind of non-cisco wireless... does the church want us to replace that with the Cisco 1041N's?
That information is addressed in the wiki article Wireless networking (meetinghouse) in the section Older 802.11 solutions. Briefly the answer is no, it is not necessary.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Either I missed that, or it has been added since I visited... or I didn't pay close attention... that could well be true. That link does answer all the questions and scenarios listed above. Thanks for pointing that out.... Now to get FM to read it :)
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

JohnShaw wrote:Either I missed that, or it has been added since I visited... or I didn't pay close attention... that could well be true.

That section was added on 8 April 2011.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

Well... I'm remembering quite clearly now that I must have read it in March of 2011 :)

Return to “Featured Article Discussions”