iPad app for streaming stake conference

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
schester

Post by schester »

Wow, thanks for all the responses and the suggestion on good player. I'll have to try it on a test webcast one day to see for myself.

JohnShaw, The iPad or other iOS device would be much simpler to setup than pulling a desktop computer out of a clerk's office or the FHC. We don't have any laptops that are capable of playing the stream in the stake, so I am forced to use a FHC computer which means many separate pieces and things to plug in or bring in my MacBook Pro. Since we have multiple sites, allowing iOS devices means I can use more of my own devices.

Ideally, if it was possible to stream the webcast off an iPod touch or similar, it would be within reason to purchase one of these for each building.

jbh001, great observation. Another reason where an iPad with LTE connectivity could provide a great solution.

Kurt, please let me know if we can help in any way in evaluating the streaming technologies.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

The iPad is not the only thing out there, everything you mention about your iPad, I could cut and replace the text and put my Android tablet in there, including the comment on tethering, except my Android has had native hotspot for years now... When designing and supporting an Enterprise system like this streaming solution you must design for the greatest and widest success (which includes supporting, etc...) What happens when someone calls into the church and says, my iPad won't stream the webcast...... you'll get dead air... if you call and say my windows desktop/laptop doesn't work then there is a whole list of things that the helpdesk can help you walk through. It is EXPENSIVE to start supporting everything under the sun, but not expensive (relatively) to support windows. That is just facts, today, at least for a while to come, Windows support is the best and most effective way to accomplish the needs of the church. If we are paying for a device for each building, the smart decision would be to use a windows laptop, and not an iPad, or Android tablet.

I can understand a desire to open standards, to move to a linux device for MLS, or streaming to an IOS, but support and the ability to deliver the solution consistently across the globe drives most decisions in this area.... In my opinion, the most consistent result will come from a purpose-built device, like a multi-media streaming device that can easily be incorporated in the satellite system (current building CCTV), connected to the back of a television or connected to a projector, something like Roku, AppleTV, GoogleTV, etc...
schester

Post by schester »

John, yes, I agree with most of your comments. Specifically the purpose built device. The last thing we should be doing is pulling a clerks or FHC computer to use for streaming, but I suspect not many units can come up with the budget for the expensive webcast receiver box the church previosuly sold.

Something in the $100 range like Roku or appletv would be ideal in my opinion.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

I just noticed that there is a link for the stream of the Tech Conference for iOS

http://stream2.lds.org/stream/ldstcd2/eng/ios.m3u8

Is this available now or is it experimental?

Will my streams from my webcast have this link as well?
bfromm

Post by bfromm »

JohnShaw wrote:I just noticed that there is a link for the stream of the Tech Conference for iOS

http://stream2.lds.org/stream/ldstcd2/eng/ios.m3u8

Is this available now or is it experimental?
Here's a link to the page that links you to the streams:

http://tech.lds.org/wiki/LDSTech_Confer ... on_streams

What I did from my iPhone this morning is click the link to watch now. From that screen there was a message saying it wouldn't display on my device along with a link for iOS devices. That link worked great.
ThomsonMA

Post by ThomsonMA »

I've had good luck receiving our Stake Conference stream on both iPhone and iPad using an app called "OPlayerHD Lite" (free). Open the app and then "Open URL". Specify the streams.lds.org/xxx address and it will buffer and then show the stream.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”