Anyone Else Noticed the new Sophos?

Discussions around the setup, operation, replacement, and disposal of clerk computers, not to include using MLS
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

ldsrussp,

We can't support actions such as you are suggesting, It appears that that it was 'late at night' admittedly, which I believe in all fairness The Church could assume that people will not be there at the computer. However it is not in the best interest of the local units to have updates pushed and management tasks happen at seemingly random times (or at times where they need to get something done quick). The End User is always in a better position to determine when the updates should happen.

The improvement I'd like to see is this:

1. Figure out how to let the End User commit to the updates. In our company, we've settled on a couple reminders after updates are pushed, and after the 3rd it is just done automatically, we feel that gives the end user enough time to perform the update at a more convenient time.
2. If that isn't possible, dedicate specific times to have a computer update sent out. I could commit to leave my computer on Sunday nights, and 1am updates happen
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ldsrussp wrote:if this continues we are considering cleaning the PC (ie: reinstall OS) and not putting Sophos back on as their is a point where members only have so much time and patience.

Aside from the fact that it is against Church policy to run an administrative computer without the approved antivirus solution in place, it's rather foolish these days to run any Internet-connected computer without antivirus protection.

It also seems premature to even consider such a drastic step when you aren't even sure of what the problem is (you used words like "probably" and "appeared") and you certainly don't seem to have any idea of whether this was a one time upgrade or a recurring problem.

I've been through multiple Sophos upgrades and countless updates, and I've never had a situation where I couldn't use the computer for any significant length of time. So I have to think that what your stake clerk experienced was an isolated experience. I'd advise some patience and caution before doing something as time-consuming, drastic, and risky as cleaning the PC and running it without A/V protection.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ldsrussp

Post by ldsrussp »

The problem is I get a lot of "Sophos was taking forever to come up - we had to wait 15-20 minutes" complaints . It's not uncommon, although this particular update was aggregious. I've also had to reinstall Sophos on many machines just to get it to be able to update again and quit pestering the user. Might be the machines we are using are just too old (Optiplex 740 machines) but whatever the case they are becoming unusable at times. I'm about to reimage a few in the hope that it will fix things but I'm kinda doubtful given they are not real crapified to begin with (ie: fairly clean installs with little to no software added since) and I've recently defragged them. I'd say the avg. PC in our stake now take 8-10 minutes from boot to MLS being usable despite some of them being fairly recent installs. Ug.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

ldsrussp wrote: I'd say the avg. PC in our stake now take 8-10 minutes from boot to MLS being usable despite some of them being fairly recent installs. Ug.
Wow, that certainly is a long time. The 740's in our stake rarely take more than a couple of minutes. Wonder what's different?
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rolandc

Post by rolandc »

I have found that it works great to set the PC's to go into sleep mode after five hours, that way they are ready to use almost instantly. Update usually run very quietly in the background.

Just leave them on 24/7 they power down after updates run and no user input.
Roland
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Here's another odd one. I had to refresh LANDesk by doing a clean-install on three machines last night, and in doing so it reverted Sophos to an old version on two of them, so it's not v10 now on those two as a result. The third one updated OK and kept Sophos v10. This was done via LANDesk as FHCs are not on TEM yet as far as I know.

But one got hung in the 'security scan' part of the clean-install on LANDesk, so it didn't get the patch that the one that still has Sophos v10 on it of the three that I had to clean-install LANDesk 9.0.3.0 on.

Any tricks to getting the v10 back on these two? They're XP SP3 machines.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JamesAnderson wrote:This was done via LANDesk as FHCs are not on TEM yet as far as I know.
Odds are TEM is installed. They're working on transitioning the tasks from LANDesk to TEM.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

So should I just wait, and when TEM is fully functional for FHCs hope they find that those two machines have an older Sophos on them and push v10 to them again?

And this explains the issue with AQ v14 not showing up on LANDesk as well. Had to push AQ v14 to the machines manually, and a different machine in the same FHC than the three mentioned earlier, but also an XP SP3 would not take that upgrade either so we only have the AQ 14 free version installed on that one.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

JamesAnderson wrote:So should I just wait, and when TEM is fully functional for FHCs hope they find that those two machines have an older Sophos on them and push v10 to them again?
That may be the easiest route. At least wait for things to stabilize a bit.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

pgm44
Location: Philippines, Cagayan de Oro city, Northern Mindanao

Post by pgm44 »

Hi, here in our ward we still use the 9.5 version. Even if I try to update I got the message update not necessary. I guess the newer version is for the US only.

PGM

[Moderator note: The second part of this post was unrelated to this thread, so was split off to it's own new topic HERE.]

Return to “Clerk Computers”