Church Logo: Use and Protection

Discussions around miscellaneous technologies and projects for the general membership.
nekcih-p40

Logo

Post by nekcih-p40 »

I hate to stir the pot (just a little more) but don't you think it's a good idea to have the church logo on the cover of every ward bulletin out there? For many people, the sacrament meetings of the church are their first and/or last point of contact. It seems like branding 101 to me.

In the same vein, where's the official church press kit? It's no wonder the church is known by so many names other than its official name! We need to get our own brand straight if we expect the rest of the world to get it.

Why not provide official ward bulletin templates with the logo on them? An official press kit would be nice too.

I'd urge church employees and leadership who are readers of this message to reconsider making the logo and/or ward bulletin templates available.

If it can't be done, please enlighten all of us as to why. We want to understand so that we can be one in this matter!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nekcih wrote:In the same vein, where's the official church press kit? It's no wonder the church is known by so many names other than its official name! We need to get our own brand straight if we expect the rest of the world to get it.

[...]An official press kit would be nice too.
Newsroom
Style Guide
Background Information
nekcih wrote:I'd urge church employees and leadership who are readers of this message to reconsider making the logo and/or ward bulletin templates available.

If it can't be done, please enlighten all of us as to why. We want to understand so that we can be one in this matter!
You can find some community-created samples here

I don't think anyone here can answer your question other then that the instructions that come with the logo are quite limiting. I can only speculate as to the reason. I'm quite sure that has been established at high levels with competent legal council and not something that can be changed at the church employee level.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
MorettiDP

Post by MorettiDP »

nekcih wrote:I hate to stir the pot (just a little more) but don't you think it's a good idea to have the church logo on the cover of every ward bulletin out there? For many people, the sacrament meetings of the church are their first and/or last point of contact. It seems like branding 101 to me.

In the same vein, where's the official church press kit? It's no wonder the church is known by so many names other than its official name! We need to get our own brand straight if we expect the rest of the world to get it.

Why not provide official ward bulletin templates with the logo on them? An official press kit would be nice too.

I'd urge church employees and leadership who are readers of this message to reconsider making the logo and/or ward bulletin templates available.

I have the same opinion about this things. Since our history put us in a monster confusion of names and logos (it's, of course, related to some other churchs who are know by names like ours our most identical to ours, like the Strangites, for exemple), is my idea that the Church need to strong his brand and make it available for local leaders ONLY in official promoted programs and activities.

If a ward is an official Church institution, or if a S&I or a FHC is a part of an official Church department, why not use the official Church logo in the products this organizations create? As IT enthusiasts, we can properly render and create products without crack copyright laws and the misrepresent the logo. With a brand manual like some others maked by companies and organizations in international level, we can know exactly what's the things we can do and we can't do.

I know that the brethren at Church's top levels is responsible about this decisions, with the help of the Office of General Counsel, but, to me, restrict the logo usage to official Church organizations is an strategy error that contribute to the pool of Church erroneous logos we can see in our wards, stakes, temples, etc. Why I will create a logo with Times New Roman if I have access to HTF-Deseret (official Church logo typeface)? Why I will create a poor logo in Photoshop if I have available a high resolution version in an restrict download site, in the size I need and with the colors I can do? It's a thing we need to see, and I believe is an important thing.
allenjblodgett

Church Logo: Use and Protection

Post by allenjblodgett »

There are copys of the church's logo in a few languages on wikipedia.:)

Spanish
English
Portuguese
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The Church logo and logotype are copyrighted. Any images found on the web other than on official Church websites or sponsored Church websites should not be considered an official logo image. Use of the Church logo has been discussed earlier in this thread. Please consult the Church Handbook of Instructions and the Church Name and Logotype Guidelines for Local Units for Church guidance and instructions on use of the logotype.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
italiasaint

The name of the font the church uses in its logo

Post by italiasaint »

goldcntry-p40 wrote:Does anyone know the actual name of the Font the Church uses? Is this font proprietary? Yes, I'm a font-addict and have always loved the Church's fonts. The only problem I've had is that I can find fonts that are close... just not close enough. *sigh*

The name of the font the church uses in its logo is Deseret-HTF and it comes in large size and small size. I have downloaded and installed the font successfully.. Please remember that this font can only be used for church use only.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

italiasaint wrote:The name of the font the church uses in its logo is Deseret-HTF and it comes in large size and small size. I have downloaded and installed the font successfully.. Please remember that this font can only be used for church use only.
I'm not sure what you mean by "Church use" -- you cannot use that font to try to create the actual Church logo, so I don't see what purpose the font serves.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

italiasaint wrote:The name of the font the church uses in its logo is Deseret-HTF and it comes in large size and small size. I have downloaded and installed the font successfully.
Besides, this font has never been released to the public domain, so any copies you may find in the wild are to be considered pirated.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Mikerowaved wrote:Besides, this font has never been released to the public domain, so any copies you may find in the wild are to be considered pirated.
... or forgeries.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
JamesAnderson

Post by JamesAnderson »

Forgeries are more than likely, if it is correct that the font has never been released generally.

Very common to find knockoff fonts, they're usually found in so-called 'free' software sites, or P2P sites, the same places pirated entertainment content is usually found in.

EDIT: Searched for it via search engines, almost everything shown is illegal P2P, 'Bittorrent', 'warez', and other sites of that nature. There are a couple sites out there that have the logo itself as a sample, but the rest that offer the font are all piracy-related.

Another, yet somewhat remote possibility is a mistaken release in some font product, or some other way where the release was inadvertent and not known until a number of copies got out to the wild.

Return to “Other Member Technologies”