Scripture API?

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

There is a page that will have the acronyms that are used, though since I don't know if that is up yet, API means Application Program Interface. It short it is a set of routines that are provided to the public to interface with a program. In the terms of a website, the routines are usually GET or POST data that the program will send to the server. The results are usually returned as an XML file.

An example let us say there was a website that had an API to find anyone.
You would connect to the server with your program and send

Code: Select all

GET /search.php?First_Name=John&Last_Name=Doe

you would receive in return

<xml>
    <person>
        <name>Doe, John</name>
        <street>555 Overlake Hwy</street>
        <city_state_zip>Somewhere, ZZ 55555</city_state_zip>
    </person>
</xml>

This allows 3rd party applications that can access the web to use the website as their database and since XML is a very strict, it is a lot easier for a computer to parse.

An API for a program is a set of public functions that can interact with the program. Example your calendar program most likely has an API which gives access to a method "post_event" so

CalendarAPI = new Calendar.APIInterface;
CalendarAPI.post_event("1/22/2007", "8:00pm", "10:00pm", "Tech Talk", "Provo Stake Center");

This would add an event to your calendar on 1/22/2007 from 8 to 10pm that is the techtalk at the Provo Stake Center.

So in short an API is a set of methods that connect to an Application and read/modify it's internal data.
- David
WelchTC

Post by WelchTC »

eldercurtis wrote:Could someone define API for me. I guess I have an idea of what it is by visiting the website references left by cboyack. However, I would like to know what it stands for exactly. Thank you.
From Wikipedia article:[INDENT]"An application programming interface (API) is a source code interface that a computer system or program library provides in order to support requests for services to be made of it by a computer program."
[/INDENT]Tom
KGBurton

Post by KGBurton »

JamesAnderson wrote:I like the side-by-side languages idea, and not just English/Spanish, but like German/French too. That way, not only could one learn the language, but missionaries that know they are going to learn a language other than their own, and not just from English to whatever, can actually familiarize themselves wth what is in the Triple.

With the Church growing in languages other than English, and the distinct possibility that we will have missionaries learning languages other than English that speak natively languages other than English, this could prove invaluable to them.
The LDS Scriptures CD does exactly that ... I love it. It seems that the same application could be extended to the web paradigm as well, making it available to a much wider audience.
WelchTC

Not "Scripture API" but closer...

Post by WelchTC »

I just created a [thread=182]thread[/thread] that references a document we just published about the Scriptures URL specification. Enjoy!

Tom
zholmquist-p40

Json

Post by zholmquist-p40 »

It would be nice to see an API come out that supported
JSON, along with an XML option . . .

I have been using JSON in my projects and love that
it is so easy to process via javascript! Not to mention
how lite it is. I had been having serious issues processing
XML in a timely fashion that I doubt I could ever go back.

Just a another possibility.

Zach
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

For those looking for a Scripture application idea, take a look at Elder David A. Bednar's talk at the Feb 4th CES fireside. Scroll down a little over half way until you find the paragraph that starts with "If you promise not to laugh, I will tell you about one of the simple ways I search for scriptural themes."

It certainly sounds like a idea ripe for implementation electronically rather then colored pencils and scissors.
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

RussellHltn wrote:For those looking for a Scripture application idea, take a look at Elder David A. Bednar's talk at the Feb 4th CES fireside. Scroll down a little over half way until you find the paragraph that starts with "If you promise not to laugh, I will tell you about one of the simple ways I search for scriptural themes."

It certainly sounds like a idea ripe for implementation electronically rather then colored pencils and scissors.
That would make for a really neat scripture study experience (especially having the help of an application/website with a well done interface). I imagine it could be just as interactive as doing the paper method Elder Bednar used, but results would be produced much quicker.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

I drag and drop type of approach into seperate piles are and auto-cut which just goes after anything you've marked in that color. A verse are a part of the verse. Anyway I think it would be a great idea. Anyone up to making an open source project? (Could be tied into [thread=113]the Scripture Study Program[/thread])
- David
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

mkmurray wrote:That would make for a really neat scripture study experience
I think it would be neat to allow that on the results of a search. That way you can have the program help you find the passages that you categorize.

I think one of the great advantages to doing it electronically is that each quote maintains it's identity. You won't have to scribble on each slip of paper what book and chapter it came from. It can also maintain it's footnotes and other links.
KipCarlsen-p40

Scriptures on Samsung Blackjack

Post by KipCarlsen-p40 »

Is it possible to put offline scriptures on a Samsung Blackjack yet? If not, how long will it be until that happens?

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”