O Especialista de Tecnologia da Estaca é responsável por todo o software usado nos computadores administrativos e do Centro de História da Família da estaca.
- MLS: Member and Leader Services is the main administrative software used by units for maintaining membership and Registro Financeiro.
- As Escrituras: Both standard and resource versions are provided with the MLS installation CD for installation on unit administrative computers.
- Missionary Recommendation Software: This DOS-based software has generally been replaced by the online Sistema de Recomendação Missionária.
Third party software
Useful software not provided by CHQ. In general, CHQ has recommended free software applications such as OpenOffice, and it is prudent for units to avoid using sacred tithing funds to purchase software, especially when equivalent applications can be obtained at no cost. However, there is no prohibition against purchasing third-party applications, or receiving donations of software, as long as the unit scrupulously adheres to the license agreement. Generally this means that a copy of the license certificate is physically in the clerk's office. In the case of donated software, the donor must no longer be using the software in any way.
Anti-virus and anti-malware software
- Sophos Anti-Virus: Released to stake clerks and stake technology specialists 22 December 2009 for installation by 24 January 2010. The Church uses this software for anti-virus and anti-malware protection.
- Symantec Antivirus: Installed during Desktop 5.5 installation. The Church used this software for antivirus protection for many years, but the Church discontinued its use.
- [Authentium's Command Antivirus]: The Church used this software for antivirus protection for many years, but the Church discontinued its use.
Office software can enable a clerk to perform many useful tasks that are not available in Church-supplied software. Word processing and spreadsheet software is particularly helpful for clerks. The most commonly used applications are:
- Open Office: Open Office is an office suite, consisting of a word processor and spreadsheet, along with other applications. It is compatible with all other major office suites. The product is free to download, use, and distribute. The Church recommends use of this suite.
- Microsoft Office: Because of cost, the Church does not recommend purchasing this software with budget funds. Open Office can perform all the essential functions of Microsoft Office.
- Microsoft Works: For a time, the Church made a specially-licensed version of Microsoft Works available to units. This practice has been discontinued and the Church now recommends the use of OpenOffice.
- CutePDF: Freeware that is included with the Desktop 5.5 image which allows a user to export any document or report from any Windows application into a distributable PDF document.
- PDFCreator: Freeware that allows a user to export any document or report from any Windows application into a distributable PDF document.
- Picasa: Free photo editing software for managing photos of ward members. Provides for the following features: crop, straighten, redeye, text, retouch, etc. With this software you can prepare photos of new ward members/familes to post on a meetinghouse bulletin board showing their names. You can also prepare photos for download to the ward website directory at http://lds.org .
Third party tools
- Stake Central/Ward Central: Stake Central allows you to export a stake directory to an Android cell phone. Ward Central allows you to export a ward directory to an Android cell phone.
- iStake: iStake allows you to export a stake directory to an iPhone or BlackBerry device.
- Ward Tools (Website down as of 2013-02-10): Works on iPhone OS, Windows Mobile OS, and Palm OS based devices.
- WardInfo From the developer: "The handiest way to view information on your ward members! A hyperlinked directory with extensive lists of the ward members, seen in various useful ways. WardInfo provides a convenient and useful way to know your ward members in more ways than you’ve thought about, and puts them ‘in the palm of your hand’! - [or on your PC]"
- MLS Companion Database: The MLS Companion Database is designed to provide useful information to church leaders interested in keeping notes on member interviews and can be installed and used on personal computers. Information is imported from MLS and then merged with custom information on each individual. There is a stake and a ward version. There is also a program to facilitate sending out electronic ward bulletin e-mails and another application that works for YSA FHE coordinators to make group assignments and e-mail groups. These are free downloads and need no other software to run.
- LDS Auxiliary Assistant
- Gift Aid: (UK Only) A small Windows utility that can be used by members to calculate Gift Aid - the value of donations to charities eligible for tax relief under UK tax law. When first run, this program assumes a 22% tax rate, but that rate can be changed and stored for subsequent uses of the software.
- Further information: Gift Aid