Search found 1343 matches

by RossEvans
Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:43 am
Forum: MLS Support, Help, and Feedback
Topic: Best way to keep contact info confidential
Replies: 13
Views: 3538

I'm sure my ward is not unusual in that we have some members who want to keep their contact information confidential and therefore off of "publicly" distributed" ward lists and the unit website. The MLS list and the LUWS web site are two different critters. For the web site, there is...
by RossEvans
Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:27 pm
Forum: MLS Support, Help, and Feedback
Topic: Documentation for MLS export files?
Replies: 3
Views: 1425

Documentation for MLS export files?

Can anyone point me to documentation for the standard .csv files exported by MLS? Most fields are self-explanatory, but I have some questions. In particular, right now I am researching Membership.csv. There are two fields in that file called "Indiv ID" and "HofH ID" that apparent...
by RossEvans
Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:07 am
Forum: MLS Support, Help, and Feedback
Topic: Fast offering routes in MLS
Replies: 12
Views: 6044

BTW, I am curious -- who is responsible for administering the fast offering routes in your wards? A clerk, or some other calling? If the latter, how is the sharing of sensitive information handled?
by RossEvans
Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:31 am
Forum: General Clerk Discussions
Topic: Map location of members
Replies: 10
Views: 4698

Here is a deep link to my post in one of the aforementioned threads, with a recent release of scripts for geocoding and mapping from ward MLS extracts, using Google Earth as the display medium. The scripts support mapping of a general ward roster, as well as home- and visiting-teaching assignments. ...
by RossEvans
Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:07 am
Forum: MLS Support, Help, and Feedback
Topic: Fast offering routes in MLS
Replies: 12
Views: 6044

In our ward we are working on a tool for maintaining fast-offering routes, leveraging the geocoding and mapping applications we recently put into place. (For those apps, see http://tech.lds.org/forum/showpost.php?p=13642&postcount=67 ) This is a big ward geographically and a very big ward numeri...
by RossEvans
Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:54 pm
Forum: Main Church Website
Topic: New Meetinghouse Locator on LDS.org - Beta Release
Replies: 89
Views: 28625

I just looked at Russell's example in Troutdale OR. The only problem is with the street directions. If the icon were mapped closer to the curb of the street -- the street with the main address -- this problem would not occur. Obviously, when generating the directions, the back-end has to jump from t...
by RossEvans
Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:02 pm
Forum: Main Church Website
Topic: New Meetinghouse Locator on LDS.org - Beta Release
Replies: 89
Views: 28625

If I'm not mistaken, the geocoders in use simply plot things based on the idea that "if 1500 is at that intersection and 2000 is there, then 1750 must be half way in-between on the even side of the street." I suppose there might be a database that will take an address and do look up on th...
by RossEvans
Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:14 pm
Forum: Main Church Website
Topic: New Meetinghouse Locator on LDS.org - Beta Release
Replies: 89
Views: 28625

Perhaps custom geocoders should be encouraged to favor pinpointing the main driveway leading to the building, rather than targeting the center of the roof. That should be configurable in the geocoder, by the application implementer at runtime. I don't know of any geocoders that actually target roof...
by RossEvans
Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:23 am
Forum: Main Church Website
Topic: New Meetinghouse Locator on LDS.org - Beta Release
Replies: 89
Views: 28625

Concerning the meetinghouse locations, we rely on latitude and longitude because matching to street address will result in too many "not found" situations, especially internationally. Even in the US, a match rate of 80% or so is common, leaving 20% not found. For those that are found, the...
by RossEvans
Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:59 am
Forum: General Clerk Discussions
Topic: Using Web Tools to Map the Members
Replies: 103
Views: 31826

This post releases v 1.1 of my GeoDB ward-mapping scripts, responding to several suggestions discussed in this thread. ... . Any head-of-houselhold members who wish to be excluded could have their 15-character church membership numbers listed in this file. Correction : The church membership number,...

Go to advanced search