Copyright issues with using Church content to create Kindle ebooks

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
simoncain

Copyright issues with using Church content to create Kindle ebooks

Post by simoncain »

I have received a basic Kindle for Christmas and was dismayed to find that the LDS scriptures available from Amazon weren't very good, and that none of the other items that I would expect to find in an LDS Gospel Library were available.

I am an experienced software developer and would love to try my hand at creating to LDS ebooks using the content found on lds.org as source (i.e., scriptures, lesson manuals, conference reports).

Can anyone tell me what copyright issues I need to be aware of before attempting to make and distribute ebooks based upon such content? (Please redirect me if this has been discussed elsewhere).

Thanks.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The best I can find right now:

Contact the Intellectual Property Office at:
Phone: 801-240-3959 or 1-800-453-3860, ext. 2-3959
Fax: 801-240-1187
E-Mail: cor-intellectualproperty@ldschurch.org.

or by writing to:

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
Intellectual Property Office
50 E. North Temple
18th Floor, Salt Lake City, UT 84150-3012

I understand the church will be cracking down on violators. So it would be good to get set up properly.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Have you seen the content that is already available on the Gospel Library for eBooks wiki page?

As for copyright questions, I would recommend that you review the lds.org Terms of Use, specifically the "Questions and Copyright Requests" section.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
simoncain

Post by simoncain »

I contacted the Intellectual Property Office who informed me that a review of copyright related matters was currently taking place, and that a decision on whether permission could be granted was likely to take at least a year!!
VRBurnett

Good Kindle Scriptures

Post by VRBurnett »

In the meantime, Packard Technologies published a full searchable version of the standard works, including Bible Dictionary, etc... back in September 2011. Here's a link over at Amazon- it costs 3 bucks

http://www.amazon.com/LDS-Scriptures-Co ... 904&sr=1-1

I'm looking for someone to help me convert Institute manuals for Kindle use. Hubby can read them on his Kindle Fire because you can enlarge and navigate across the PDF page pretty quickly and easily but my little cheapo kindle makes the PDF completely unusable. sadness.

Return to “Gospel Library”