Gospel Library for Macbook Pro

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
christopherst

Re: Gospel Library for Macbook Pro

Postby christopherst » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:55 am

Why is it on Windows and not Mac?

christopherst

Postby christopherst » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:02 pm

carsonm wrote:As an alternative option, you could use either Bootcamp or like program/tool like Parallels to then be able to run Windows 10 inside of a Mac, which then allows you to run the Gospel Library App for Windows on your Mac. This app work on non-touch screen computers like the Mac (with Windows 10 running as noted above If I understand it correctly) and on non touch screen Windows 10 computers as well as on touch screen Windows 10 devices and computers.

Yes, I realize that you did not get a Mac to run Windows 10 on it, but it is an option if you want the Gospel Library App

If interested Here is a little about the Gospel Library for Windows app, along with some screen shots.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/p/gospe ... erviewtab#

I have run parallels before on Mac. Windows 10 isn't free, nor is Parallels. Why buy Windows 10 and a new copy of Parallels just to get a free app that should be on Mac anyhow?

I have seen that there is a 2020 version iOS being used on macOS but it would have to be developed through the iOS on macOS.

It doesn't make sense to have Windows, Android and just mobile devices on iPhone and iPad but not on macOS.

I think the Church develops mostly on Windows and Android users because people can't afford to buy Apple products, but forces people to go the cheapest route possible.

jdlessley
Community Moderators

Postby jdlessley » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:05 pm

christopherst wrote:Why is it on Windows and not Mac?

The Windows version is intended to support Windows mobile phones and a beneficial side effect is that any windows 10 device, including desktops and laptops, can run it.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center?

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:34 pm

jdlessley wrote:
christopherst wrote:Why is it on Windows and not Mac?

The Windows version is intended to support Windows mobile phones and a beneficial side effect is that any windows 10 device, including desktops and laptops, can run it.

In addition, unlike the iOS and Android version, the Windows version is an all-volunteer effort. And even then, I sense they struggle to keep up.

I think to safe to say that if there were to be a version for Mac, it would also take an all-volunteer effort.

Offers to be a beta tester wouldn't help. They'd need actual coders.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

AndersenK

Postby AndersenK » Wed May 27, 2020 11:07 pm

It wouldn’t take too much effort to make a macOS Gospel Library application today. Apple now provides Mac Catalyst, which provides a method to turn an iPad application into a macOS application.

https://developer.apple.com/mac-catalyst/

Maybe we could see it happen based on Catalyst now?

jdlessley
Community Moderators

Postby jdlessley » Thu May 28, 2020 12:16 am

AndersenK wrote:It wouldn’t take too much effort to make a macOS Gospel Library application today. Apple now provides Mac Catalyst, which provides a method to turn an iPad application into a macOS application.

https://developer.apple.com/mac-catalyst/

Maybe we could see it happen based on Catalyst now?

The forum is primarily user-to-user help and support. There is little chance anyone with the authority to make any decision would see this thread.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center?

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Thu May 28, 2020 12:19 am

AndersenK wrote:Maybe we could see it happen based on Catalyst now?

I still think it's going to take a all-volunteer effort.

If it's easier, that makes it more likely, but it still takes developers coming forward willing to do it.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Postby sbradshaw » Thu May 28, 2020 9:46 am

Catalyst is advertised to make it easy to port an iOS app to Mac, but in reality, complicated apps like Gospel Library can't be ported by simply toggling the checkbox in Xcode. That doesn't mean that Gospel Library won't be ported to Mac using Catalyst, but it will take time and dedicated effort. I think it's true that Catalyst makes it easier to port an app – but not necessarily easy. Hopefully the tools that Catalyst provides will continue to improve in the next iteration!
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “Gospel Library”