How Gospel Library updates install on my smart phone

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
lajackson
Community Moderators

How Gospel Library updates install on my smart phone

Post by lajackson »

Start Gospel Library

Notice that little blue dots appear on some Index items signaling that there are updates. Click on one of them.

The item menu appears. Click on one of the new items.

The item opens. The update process begins. Within a few seconds GL crashes.

Restart GL.

Select the same updated Index item. Select the same updated menu item.

A blank white screen appears. After a few seconds ranging from about 5 to 20, GL crashes.

Sometimes during this process, but not always, an opportunity to send feedback will appear. If so,

Send feedback asking that GL be updated on a day other than Sunday. Even Saturday would be better when I am making final preparations to teach on Sunday.

As an alternative, the update process could just begin when the item is installed, if I have already used it before, and not wait until I try to open the item again.

Repeat for each of the other new little blue dot items in Gospel Library.

Teach without using GL at all.

Other than that, GL is quite the nifty little app. I would recommend that everyone use it.
davesudweeks

Re: How Gospel Library updates install on my smart phone

Post by davesudweeks »

Interesting. I have never had GL crash on my phone. I'm on Android 9. Sometimes when I see the blue dots and click on the items, I cannot find what was updated, but it has never crashed on me (yet).
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

It sounds like there's some confusion. The colored dots are intended to indicate that a new item has been added to the catalog (list of books) that wasn't there before – for example, each month when new magazines are published, the three new magazines should each have a dot. Content updates usually happen on Wednesdays.

Because the items (which are usually added on Wednesdays) are new, they haven't ever been downloaded to your app. You can choose to download an item by tapping on it, but you don't have to. You can just go to where you see the dot, then go back, and the dot will dismiss because it's been seen. In fact, I wouldn't recommend downloading everything with a dot, since more content downloaded can cause the app to run more slowly.

The app checks for content updates every 24 hours. If you allow background app updates, it will even check in the background while you're not using the app. Under normal circumstances (leaving room for bugs or network problems :) ), the only scenario where you should receive a content update on Sunday is if you have background app updates off, and haven't opened the app since Wednesday. (Every once in a while there's a content update on another day of the week, but very, very rarely is there a content update pushed out on a Saturday or Sunday.)
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

sbradshaw wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:25 am It sounds like there's some confusion. The colored dots are intended to indicate that a new item has been added to the catalog (list of books) that wasn't there before – for example, each month when new magazines are published, the three new magazines should each have a dot. Content updates usually happen on Wednesdays.
I am aware of that, but in some instances, I click on the top level icon that has a dot (to find out what has been changed/added) and there are no colored dots on any of the icons inside. My point of the post was that, while there are some folks who are having real issues with the app, others are not. I would think it is more of an issue with the app/device relationship rather than the app or device alone. But I'm not a programmer or developer so my ideas are just guesses in this regard.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

sbradshaw wrote: You can choose to download an item by tapping on it, but you don't have to. . . .

(. . . very, very rarely is there a content update pushed out on a Saturday or Sunday.)
I understand that nothing downloads until I click on it because I want to see it. But very regularly there are no new items available on Saturday and there are blue dots on Sunday morning. At that point, if I want to use the item I have click on it and wait for the new item to download and install. Gospel Library will not let me use the old stuff temporarily at that point.

Since I use Gospel Library every Saturday morning to prepare for Sunday, your "very, very rarely" would equate to "I have this problem at least once a month" for me. Either that, or the Wednesday updates are not hitting my phone until many days later in the week.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”