Are there Android Gospel Library issues?

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
danielbaker2

Are there Android Gospel Library issues?

Post by danielbaker2 »

My previously all-OK Gospel Library won't synch such things as magazines and videos. Message say that I must have Internet and wifi. I do lhave both, ALL other apps have no trouble with data. I tried wifi on and off. Android version 6.0.
I successfully synched LDS tools on it last night after the library issue was manifest..

I have another Android that I am using as a wifi only; no internet service. Again all data services, emails, web, everything is working on it via wifi, but..... I tried to install Gospel Library on it to see if it behaves differently. The install was fine. But when I clicked to open the newly installed Gospel Library on this phone, it simply said that I must have internet. I just successfully synched LDS Tools on this. Android version 7.1.1 on this.

Danielbaker2@yahoo.com
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Are there Android Gospel Library issues?

Post by jdlessley »

danielbaker2 wrote:My previously all-OK Gospel Library won't synch such things as magazines and videos.
When you say it won't sync do you mean notes or bookmarks will not sync or do you mean the magazines and videos will not download?
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
danielbaker2

Post by danielbaker2 »

Magazines and videos will not download. There may be other things that won't download. To describe more fully, previously downloaded magazines February and older are there and do open. I lagged in downloading for a couple months. The newer ones will not download, and that message appears. Again, my internet and wifi are just fine on that phone.

And again, I could not open the newly installed library on the other phone that has wifi only, but it did install. LDS tools is fine.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

What version of Gospel Library do you have?
Does your wi-fi network have any content blockers or filters on? Some filtering services block the Church's content servers.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
dlr53

Post by dlr53 »

I'm experiencing the same issues descriped by the original poster (e.g. can't download new content, can't sync annotations, app claims to not have an internet connection regardless of if it's using wifi or data--all other apps on the phone are working fine). I saw in the Google play store reviews for Gospel Library that someone was having this problem after the most recent update (July 5, 2019) but somehow fixed it. No details on the reivew about how he resolved the problem. As far as I can tell I'm on the most current version of the app, 5.2.3 using a Samsung Galaxy S 8, Android version 9. Any help resolving this issue would be much appreciated.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'd check and see if you have any security apps or a filtered network that might be blocking access. I'm running 5.2.3 on Android 9 on a Pixel and it seems to work fine.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
CSS1999

Post by CSS1999 »

It seems to be randomly occurring on different devices. The current solution for the problem until it gets fixed in an update is to switch the language you are using by going to the main library screen and using the menu to switch to a language you do not have downloaded. (ASL would work just fine.) Then switch it back and that usually fixes the problem. That doesn't always work, and some people cannot even get to that point, i.e. the app does not even open. If you can though, that will hopefully help.
sebastian.buck

VPN bug in Android 9

Post by sebastian.buck »

I also experience related problems.

Using the latest version of the Gospel Library app on Android 9 will cause problems when a VPN connection (using OpenVPN for Android) is present. In this case the app cannot connect to the Internet. All other apps however work just fine and have no connection problems. Disconnecting the VPN and using a native Internet connection solves this problem.

But this is obviously some kind of bug since no other app has any problem to connect to the Internet through a VPN.

Also noteworthy: This problem only occurs on Android 9. I tested it on Android 5 and 6 without seeing his bug.
danpass

Re: VPN bug in Android 9

Post by danpass »

sebastian.buck wrote:Using the latest version of the Gospel Library app on Android 9 will cause problems when a VPN connection (using OpenVPN for Android) is present. In this case the app cannot connect to the Internet. All other apps however work just fine and have no connection problems. Disconnecting the VPN and using a native Internet connection solves this problem.
I see the same behavior, also on Android 9, using the OpenVPN client, connecting to my OpenVPN server on my home network. When I try to download new content I get the message:
This action requires an internet connection. Please connect to a mobile or Wi-Fi network and try again.
Interestingly, while on the same VPN connection, the Member Tools app is able to connect and sync without issue.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I sync'ed gospel library early this morning with no issues. Then during Sunday School, the app crashed immediately upon opening and offered to send feedback for "Gospel Library keeps crashing" which I let it do. I have force-closed the app, tried it with and without airplane mode turned on, restarted the device, all to no avail. Still not working this evening at home. I suppose the next step is to delete and reinstall the app. I am set up as a Beta tester and have version 5.2.3 (52306.38).

The Google Play store shows it updated on July 5, 2019 so perhaps my problem is I don't really have it because it is not July 5th yet here in Oklahoma, LOL.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”