Some bookmarks no longer work

Discussions around the Android version of the Gospel Library application.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Some bookmarks no longer work

Post by lajackson »

With the latest content update, quite a large number of my bookmarks no longer work and I am having to create them again by going to the document and making new ones. After I do that, I can delete the old bookmarks that just stare at me when I press them.

In the past, this has happened on occasion, particularly when a book has changed. But the more common action when I try to use a bookmark is to get a popup that the item has not been downloaded. If I click on download, it does, and then the bookmark works once again.

I have been fortunate that the bookmarks are always there (so far). Is the cause of this problem possibly that the identity of the book has changed and the existing bookmark no longer sees the same book after it is downloaded again? I can see where a book might not have been downloaded during an update and need to be manually reloaded. In most cases after that the bookmark picks up my former place in the updated and newly downloaded book.

But this time, a whole bunch of them just stare at me and do not work at all, nor do they give me the popup that a download is needed once again.

The first two I ran across were Saints, Volume 2, and Gospel Topics Essays.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Some bookmarks no longer work

Post by sbradshaw »

If you go to Library > Church History, does Saints Volume 2 show as downloaded? If not, if you tap to download it from there, does your bookmark start working again?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Some bookmarks no longer work

Post by lajackson »

sbradshaw wrote:If you go to Library > Church History, does Saints Volume 2 show as downloaded?
I had the first 7 chapters, and when I went to Church History it showed that Saints Vol 2 was already downloaded. The three-dot option did not include a download option.

I pulled down the menu page to refresh it and Saints Vol 2 switched to the dim icon showing it was not downloaded.
I clicked on the book and it downloaded. I clicked again and the book opened. I closed it and went back to my bookmark.

The bookmark just stared at me and did nothing when I tapped it. The bookmark three-dot menu only had Rename and Delete.
I renamed it, then went to the book and set up a new bookmark. I checked the new bookmark, then I deleted the original bookmark I had renamed.

The new bookmark has worked fine and moves around as expected when I select the Update option.

Return to “Android Gospel Library”