Edit an existing highlight

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
keys88

Re: Edit an existing highlight

Post by keys88 »

Agree with the request for ability to change the extent of highlights. I would add, that deleting a note to change the size also deletes associated links - ouch!

Thank you for the continued work on this great app!
markojarvis

Post by markojarvis »

It looks like this feature is now (again) available in the online scriptures! I tested this out with a highlight I've been wanting to update (without deleting/redoing/losing the associated links and tags, of course), then gave it a few minutes to sync to my app, and it worked! Hooray!
mgclark

Post by mgclark »

I've asked about this a few times over the years and in fact went back to Android about four years ago because I could not resize existing highlights. I never got a clear answer as to why, only responses from service missionaries that "this sounds like a good idea (to be able to resize highlights) and I will pass this along to the developers." My whole family wanted me back on iOS so in December 2019 I switched back. I still use a Samsung Tab for my gospel study, however, because I want to have this functionality without having to log into a computer. I would sure like to have this feature so I can have everything in one ecosystem (iOS).

So, if I understand things correctly, is the hold up primarily on the iOS side and not with Gospel Library (without a significant rewrite)? If this is the case it sounds like the chances are slim to none of ever getting the resizing-of-highlights feature in the iOS version of Gospel Library. Someone please tell me I am wrong with my thinking!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

iOS Gospel Library uses iOS' built-in mechanism for selecting text, which doesn't support re-selecting a group of words (i.e. the bounds of the highlight) when tapping (I think it's a "security feature" that iOS doesn't allow apps to select text on a page on behalf of the user – the user has to initiate text selection by long-pressing and dragging). The workaround is to create a custom text-selection feature, which is possible, but it may introduce bugs, and as the OS changes it will need to be kept up-to-date to make sure the look and feel matches iOS' native text selection (if that's possible at all). So, it's an iOS limitation, but there are workarounds, but those workarounds are "scary."
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”