Lost all Japanese scriptures, general conference, etc.

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
bljedwards

Lost all Japanese scriptures, general conference, etc.

Post by bljedwards »

I went into the Gospel Library app today and wanted to start over again in the Japanese Book of Mormon. I went to my last page, Moroni 10, clicked on the title, and the header didn't expand so I couldn't navigate back to the start of the Book of Mormon. I could click the left arrow and back up a chapter at a time but couldn't do anything else.

I then went back into English and navigated to the library, then settings, and changed my language to Japanese. After doing that, I found it didn't show anything but Handbook 1, notes, and one other item. I looked at my "downloads" and it says I have over 100 MB of Japanese titles loaded but when I click on it, it says I have no downloads. I I then tried a bookmark that was set to Moroni 10 (the place I had been a few minutes earlier.) When I clicked it, it told me the item wasn't downloaded and told me it would download it. Fast forward a few hours, the spinner is still spinning and there are no Japanese scriptures or anything else.

I also seem to have lost my Chinese and Spanish scriptures. I changed my language to each of those scriptures and was able to download them without any problems but I don't know why it lost them in the first place.

I am still unable to access anything in Japanese except for Handbook 1, which isn't really any help. It could be a corruption issue on my phone but since I was able to reload the other languages with no problems, I'm wondering if someone messed something up on the servers.

I have submitted all of this with screen shots through the support link in the app but, in my limited experience, I seldom hear back and for language issues I have reported in the past, it often took weeks to get an answer. One drug on for a few months.

Can anyone here shed any light on this or what I can do to download the Japanese scriptures and conference talks?

Thank you in advance!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Lost all Japanese scriptures, general conference, etc.

Post by sbradshaw »

I've heard of this happening every once in a while, but I don't know what causes it. A potential fix is to switch to a language other than Japanese, then go to Settings > Language and remove Japanese (by swiping it out of the list of "downloaded" languages). Then, tap Japanese to reinstall the Japanese catalog.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
tarasensei

Post by tarasensei »

I have also lost all my Japanese audio for the scriptures but I can still get the current General Conference. Everything went wrong with the latest update
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

tarasensei wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 4:27 pm I have also lost all my Japanese audio for the scriptures but I can still get the current General Conference. Everything went wrong with the latest update
As far as I know, audio recordings don't exist for the scriptures in Japanese – only text-to-speech (computer-generated) audio.

EDIT: It looks like I was wrong – Japanese is one of the few languages that did have audio for the triple combination. It sounds like there must be a bug somewhere in the content pipeline, since the audio doesn't show as available in Gospel Library for Android, iOS, or online.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

According to a letter dated November 11, 2021, a new edition of the triple combination (Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, and Pearl of Great Price) was published in Japanese. The previous audio files may have been removed because they don't reflect the current translation.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”