Choosing the Year

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
KerryBird

Choosing the Year

Post by KerryBird »

Why do you have to scroll down through all of the previous years from 2003 to get to 2014 when entering the date of an event? It seems like it should just show the current year and maybe two or three years in the future.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Choosing the Year

Post by jdlessley »

kerrybird wrote:Why do you have to scroll down through all of the previous years from 2003 to get to 2014 when entering the date of an event?
How are you creating events? What are the steps you take? I tried three methods and in all three of those methods the default is the current year.

The first method I used is by clicking a date block on the calendar. This method is the quickest when the date is relatively closing to the current date or month and results in the clicked date for the event.

Another method is to click the "+", or "Create new event", icon in the top right of the menu bar. Using this method sets the current day and the next full hour to the current time as the default.

A third method is to use the Week view instead of the Month view to be able to click and drag the times desired. This method is essentially the same as the first method only with control of the time without typing in the time in the details screen.

In these three methods, the date (day and year) can be manually changed by typing in the date text box any date desired. I see no list box of year in any method I use.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

jdlessley wrote:In these three methods, the date (day and year) can be manually changed by typing in the date text box any date desired. I see no list box of year in any method I use.
When you are in the Edit Event Details popup, if you click in any date field, the date picker pops up. Clicking on the year, shows a list box of years:
datepicker.png
datepicker.png (15.2 KiB) Viewed 1225 times
However, for me the default value of that list box is always the current year, so I can go down to the next year easily.

Perhaps on some browsers that list box might work differently. Kerrybird, which browser are you using? And is that the year list box you were referring to?
KerryBird

Post by KerryBird »

See the illustration above. My question is why it has the 10 previous years listed.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

kerrybird wrote:See the illustration above. My question is why it has the 10 previous years listed.
Clearly it is helpful to have at least one previous year listed, but I would agree that 10 is a bit excessive. But why is it a problem of any significance? Since the default value is the current year, picking a year before or after the default value is simple enough.

Return to “Calendar”