Retiring calendar restrictions

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
davidrichey

Re: Retiring calendar restrictions

Post by davidrichey »

Add my voice to those not wanting the feature to be removed. I believe we are using it properly and it keeps people from reserving the building on Activity Nights assigned to Wards.
CrockettDR
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by CrockettDR »

An update on this. We have decided to not retire restrictions at this time. Thanks for the feedback. We have figured out a couple other things to do to avoid some of the current confusion.
bpredd

Post by bpredd »

That is great news! Onward and upward.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Hooray!
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ericb

Post by ericb »

Great to hear
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

CrockettDR wrote:An update on this. We have decided to not retire restrictions at this time.
Ultimately, my belief is that simplifying the calendar from its present state WILL INCREASE its adoption....

I fully understand and have used restrictions, but in the hope of gaining "truer" adoption, I would PREFER to see a much simpler method in place to reserve Tuesdays for Ward A and Wednesdays for Ward B.

In some areas, they have already solved the complicated restriction issue.

WARD A makes a repeating event every Tuesday that runs the whole year titled "mutual", and WARD B makes a repeating event every Wednesday that runs the whole year titled "mutual." Problem solved. They each have effectively grabbed "their night."

This isn't true adoption....
"A soft answer turneth away wrath" works great on LDSTech forum boards!
davidrichey

Post by davidrichey »

I understand the fix for Activity Night. If you don't have the restriction, what do you do for Funerals, Wedding Receptions, Family Receptions, Closing off Cultural Hall for new floor, etc?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

davidrichey wrote:If you don't have the restriction, what do you do for Funerals, Wedding Receptions, Family Receptions, Closing off Cultural Hall for new floor, etc?
Schedule an event. That's a far better solution.

There's things behind restrictions that can some back and bite you if you try to use restriction in place of an event.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
gregbishop

Post by gregbishop »

I would and do greatly prefer restrictions rather than recurring events to schedule the building. The only one that really needs to understand restrictions is the building schedule and everybody else is limited when they try to schedule a restricted resource. This allows individual calendar event to schedule a portion of the building (i.e. the RS room or the Serving Room) and let others in the same ward know what the plan is.
I find the biggest limitation to adoption to be either the "I don't schedule" types that don't look at calendars or schedules OR that the people that find that the calendar is a bit hard to access, view and edit. Restrictions are a great part of the tool that I wish our entire stake used a bit better.
CrockettDR
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by CrockettDR »

Yes, restrictions are staying for now. We are working on a new major release of the calendar. In the new version we will do a few things that make restrictions a little less confusing.

Return to “Calendar”