New Building Coordinator, but no way to add calendar events

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
jennyjuddallen

New Building Coordinator, but no way to add calendar events

Post by jennyjuddallen »

a week and half ago, I was called to position in my Ward as the Building Coordinator. This should allow me to edit or add events on our Calendar. BUT, the add button is not visible on my account as it SHOULD be. Can you please help? I have asked my bishop and his clerk to help, but they too aren't sure why I am unable to input information. Thank you, Jennifer Allen
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: New Building Coordinator, but no way to add calendar events

Post by lajackson »

Being a building coordinator does not a calendar editor make. You will only be able to edit the calendars you have been given access to administer. It has nothing to do with your calling as the building coordinator.

If you are the only ward in the building, it will be easy to give you edit access to all of your ward calendars. If you share the building, you can still have access to all of your calendars, but not to any of the calendars in other units.

And you will not be able to edit any of the stake calendars unless they also make you a calendar editor on their calendars.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

The bottom line, the system was designed for each unit to manage their own calendar, and by extension, their use of the building. The system will prevent double-booking. The "Building Scheduler" will typically not be as involved as before, but instead work out complaints and schedule family use of the building.

Some units try to hold onto to tradition by making one person do all the scheduling, but that isn't supported by the calendar system. It can kind of work with a single-unit building, but completely falls apart for a shared building.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
craigmadsen

Post by craigmadsen »

I have the same kind of problem, but I didn't really see what the resolution was in above thread? I am the Stake Clerk and a brethren has been called as a building coordinator/calendar person. When I go to "Callings by Organization" and go down to "Facilities", I see the following: "Stake Scheduler--Building 1", "Stake Scheduler--Building 2", "Stake Scheduler--Building 3" and "Stake Scheduler--Building 4". We have one person under Building 1, who is the person that scheduled something for me recently at our Stake Center. We have a North Building, a South Building and a Care Center in our stake, which I'm assuming are Building's 3-5, though I don't know which ones are which. Anyway, I made this brethren the "Stake Scheduler for both Building 3 & 4", but when he goes to click on a day to create an event, it does nothing when he clicks on it. What do we need to do so that this brethren can create events for the ward he resides in? As a side note, how can I find out what the Building numbers actually represent? We are the Jordan Oaks Stake in West Jordan, UT.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

Despite what you would think the Stake Schedule callings don't provide any rights in the calendar and the buildings don't have any connection to any specific buildings in your stake. Those callings can be used to keep track of who has been called but don't do anything beyond that.

At the stake level, you can give the schedule rights to one or more stake calendars by selecting the 'gear' > Calendars option in the Calendar itself and then editing the calendar to give the person edit rights. At the stake level, you can't give them rights to add things to a ward calendar. An administrator in their ward can give them rights to add events to calendars in their ward if they so desire. There is no way to give them rights to calendars in other wards.

As russellhltn indicated, the system is really designed for each unit to reserve their own rooms by entering events on their own calendars. A building scheduler's role is really to work out conflicts between units when necessary and to schedule private events. Private events can be scheduled directly on the building calendar or the stake can create a calendar for them and add the schedule as an editor on that calendar.
CrockettDR
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by CrockettDR »

The key thing for adding building schedulers is to give them building scheduler rights in "gear">Locations and Rooms for the particular building. That will give them rights to add events directly to the building calendar (like family events that shouldn't go on a ward calendar) and also gives them powerful rights to edit and delete any event scheduled in that building.
nelsondaley

Post by nelsondaley »

The problem here is that an event that is added by location cannot be seen on ward calendars, so the wards that use the building don't know when the building is available or not.
This can somewhat be resolved through the lds.org calendar by choosing a location to see on your calendar, BUT this option is not available on LDS TOOLS.
The techs at LDS TOOLS say it is not their problem and that the app works fine. It may work fine for the options they currently have but there is no way to display a location calendar in LDS TOOLS.
So a building schedulers hands are tied by not allowing them to display on ward calendars.
HELP Please
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

nelsondaley wrote:...
HELP Please
Just a reminder that this is a user-to-user discussion forum, not an official help/support request channel. In order to request an improvement to the way the software and such work, please either use the 'Feedback' button or link or ask your stake president to pass the information about the problem and requested solution up his chain of command.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

nelsondaley wrote:So a building schedulers hands are tied by not allowing them to display on ward calendars.
The way the system is designed, each unit needs to schedule their own events. The "building scheduler" is a coordinator/supervisor and no longer deals with day to day scheduling.

Try it. It works fine.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bunkerd1

Post by bunkerd1 »

build cordanator fortbunion steak midvale utah north east building for the spanish branch fort union third and 7 wards

Return to “Calendar”