Building Rep. can't see other Wards building use?

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
MurdockM

Building Rep. can't see other Wards building use?

Post by MurdockM »

Apparently as a Ward Building representative I am unable to view on LDS Tools calendar when other wards in my Tri-unit, Stake Center building have areas of the building reserved? Is that correct.
I have standing instructions (from the Tri-units) for ward members and I to clean the building on Saturday mornings and at that time set up chairs for Sunday services.

However on more than one occasion we have done so and had no way of knowing someone would come to the building a few hours later upset that we moved things or set up chairs in a room they had reserved for later that Saturday.

I called my Bishops counselor and he said he could see the other wards reservations listed on his calendar. I even did a re-sync of the LDS tools on my Android tablet and also checked from Windows computer and despite having every calendar it allows me selected to view I still can’t see when other wards have areas of the building reserved.

Furthermore, I’d think that when someone reserves the building they should be given a heads-up and told it is THEIR responsibility to touch bases with those cleaning the building and setting up chairs to avoid further conflicts and hard feelings. (Not depend on various people assigned to cleaning to know who has reserved what or make me come back and set up chairs between 10 pm and Midnight Saturdays.)

How does this work out in other Stakes, without conflicts?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Building Rep. can't see other Wards building use?

Post by russellhltn »

murdock20m wrote:Apparently as a Ward Building representative I am unable to view on LDS Tools calendar when other wards in my Tri-unit, Stake Center building have areas of the building reserved? Is that correct.
The only way to see the "location" calendar is to use lds.org. The building calendar is not available for anyone in any other system (URL or LDS Tools).

Generally, the only thing you can see in LDS Tools is your own ward's events. Some stake leaders can subscribe (and then see) other wards in the stake. But no one can see the building calendar.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
MurdockM

Post by MurdockM »

Thanks.

Even at LDS.org, I can only see Stake activities and those of my own Ward. I do, at LDS.org see the several different buildings in my Stake however.

Someone in another ward has just been called as "building scheduler 1" so that may help.

I'll work with the info. avilable to me.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

murdock20m wrote:I do, at LDS.org see the several different buildings in my Stake however.
So, if you put a check mark for that location (and remove all the others), you'll see when that building is in use. You may or may not be able to see the event itself.
murdock20m wrote:Someone in another ward has just been called as "building scheduler 1" so that may help.
That's a title in CDOL/LCR/MLS. But until a member of the stake presidency/clerk/secretary adds that person as a building scheduler into the calendar system, they have the title but not the keys. But even then, the keys do not include access to all the calendars of all the wards that meet in the building.

Bottom line, the units need to do their own day-to-day scheduling. The building scheduler add restrictions and family events. They also get involved in resolving conflicts. (They do have edit rights for events taking place in "their" building.)
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
casper684

Post by casper684 »

This seemed like the closest topic I could find related to my question. My question is lds tools vs lds.org calendar scheduling.
I do not use tools as I find lds.org more complete for my calling as Stake Center Building Scheduler. I also happen to be
Stake Blood Drive Coordinator. I properly had scheduled Stake Center scheduled for 1 pm to 7 pm stake blood drive. ALSO had 2 hour set up and
2 hour clean up. So lds.org calendar was correct. YM Pres came in with YM expecting to play basketball in cultural hall.
He showed me on tools and it had blood drive from 1 pm to 7 pm. Not showing any allowances for set up or clean up.

My questions:

1. Can an event be scheduled on the calendar with the tools app?
2. Does set up and clean up time show somewhere on tools app?

Thank you for your help.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

casper684 wrote:1. Can an event be scheduled on the calendar with the tools app?
No.
casper684 wrote:2. Does set up and clean up time show somewhere on tools app?
No. The LDS Tools app is designed to show you the events. It's not intended to be used to see the building schedule. The ONLY place you can see that is if you look at the building calendar on lds.org. Note, a building calendar cannot be subscribed to, nor can it be synced with any third party calendars. This is true of the current calendar and will be true with 3.0 coming out soon. At least with 3.0, it makes it easier to see the building calendar on your phone as the web page is small-screen friendly.
casper684 wrote:YM Pres came in with YM expecting to play basketball in cultural hall.
In my opinion, this is the problem. The idea "if it's not scheduled, then I can sneak in and use it". There is no deadline for scheduling. He could have scheduled it just before he left the house. In this case if he'd tried, he'd quickly find out it wasn't available.

Hopefully, he took this gracefully. You did everything correctly, he made a bad assumption. You simply cannot use LDS Tools to determine if the building is available. In addition to not seeing the setup and cleanup times, as a YM President, he can't see any activities scheduled by another ward. Had it been a blood drive by a different ward, he wouldn't have seen anything at all in LDS Tools, any sync, or anywhere except the building calendar on lds.org.

Return to “Calendar”