How to only sync some of the ward/stake calendars?

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
dlg7

How to only sync some of the ward/stake calendars?

Post by dlg7 »

I'm syncing my ward calendar with my family google calendar. Currently, every activity know to man appears, effectively making it impossible to find the things I need to know about. Simply too much noise. In the LDS calendar and in LDS tools, I have unsubscribed from the calendars I don't need, and it works fine, but my google calendar still shows all events? How to I stop the unwanted calendars from syncing? Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: How to only sync some of the ward/stake calendars?

Post by russellhltn »

The sync brings over everything you are subscribed to. The subscription on lds.org isn't the checkboxes, but sliders. To see them, you either have to click on the ">>" icon at the top of the divider, or click on the gear icon and select "subscriptions".

Note that once you have unsubscribed from something on lds.org, you no longer have the option to display it - even on LDS Tools.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dlg7

Post by dlg7 »

Thanks for the quick reply. I did use the sliders to unsubscribe through "settings- subscriptions"
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

If I remember correctly, I think you have to generate a new sync URL after making changes to the subscriptions, to make sure only the subscribed calendars sync to Google Calendar or whatever third-party calendar you're using.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:If I remember correctly, I think you have to generate a new sync URL after making changes to the subscriptions, to make sure only the subscribed calendars sync to Google Calendar or whatever third-party calendar you're using.
I don't think so - however Google won't update the calendar until it feels like it. (Sometime in the next 24 hours.) Even if you delete and re-add it, it will used cached information. The only way to fool Google into doing a "on demand" update is to change the URL.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dlg7

Post by dlg7 »

That was it, I just needed to wait longer... 23 hours to be exact. I generated a new URL and deleted my old calendar in Google, then added the new one, I thought for sure that would cause an initializing sync, and it did.... Eventually.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Huh. I would have thought with a new URL into a new calendar, it would have done an immediate sync.

danmpeterson

Post by danmpeterson »

It would be really helpful if we could synchronize specific calendars for specific groups without doing this workaround. For example, parents with a Deacon and Mia Maid could subscribe to those calendars only. The Teacher's quorum and Mia Maid advisers could share links with parents of youth from their groups on demand. I've done this for years with Google Calendars and parents love it. Trying to explain the way LDS Tools calendars synchronize with non-tech savvy parents is too complicated because of the need to synchronize based on slider permissions and then switch the sliders back to the view that parent may need for their calling (a relief society parent, for example). Perhaps I'm not understanding what functionality is already there. Can an adviser disable all calendar sliders except their own auxiliary (say a beehive adviser), then generate the calendar link for that specific group and share that link with parents?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

danmpeterson wrote:Can an adviser disable all calendar sliders except their own auxiliary (say a beehive adviser), then generate the calendar link for that specific group and share that link with parents?
No. The sync page says "This URL is provided for your own personal use. It should not be shared with anyone else." Secondly, what's shared is based on the current settings, not the settings in effect when the link was created.
danmpeterson wrote:For example, parents with a Deacon and Mia Maid could subscribe to those calendars only.
Wouldn't the parents subscribe to those calendars in addition to their own calendar? I'm not understanding "only" in this context.

richinssm

Post by richinssm »

My calendar suddenly started showing all the calendars this week after years of working fine. I reworked the sliders as mentionedabove, and the problem still did not resolve. I thought I'd regenerate a new URL to jumpstart the updates, but though a message box pops up that says the URL is copied, it does not actually paste when subscribing to a new calendar on my ipad, indicating the URL is not actually copying. The URL generated is not able to be manually copied, so I tediously tried to copy the URL into the required field, but that did not seem to work. I am guessing once my ipad's calendar updates, the old subscription will no longer work since I regenerated a new URL. Any tips?

Return to “Calendar”