Outlook Calendar Sync--: 'The operation failed.'

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
bigdamon14

Outlook Calendar Sync--: 'The operation failed.'

Post by bigdamon14 »

I used the link provided by the church website to sync with Outlook. However the error that i receive is :
Task 'Internet Calendar Subscriptions' reported error (0x80004005) : 'The operation failed.'

The link, with personal info removed is "webcals://www.lds.org/church-calendar/services/lu ... da2423bbf9**********". Anyone have any ideas. By the way the link it gives me for Gmail works just fine.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Outlook Calendar Sync--: 'The operation failed.'

Post by russellhltn »

I think it's the same link, isn't it? Note that there is a 9 minute throttling limit. Once you use the link, it won't work for nine minutes. Note that 9 minutes for all of your devices, not per device. Set your sync frequency accordingly.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
bigdamon14

Post by bigdamon14 »

Problem is that the link doesn't work at all. The error, according to Microsoft, means that the link is bad. Timing doesn't matter as it it doesn't try to sync an invalid link.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

bigdamon14 wrote:The error, according to Microsoft, means that the link is bad.
Doing a Google on the error message, it appears that it can be a number of things, not just a bad link.

However, I suspect there may be a problem with the calendar server as my attempt to use the link in a browser results in the lds "Out of Service" message.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
s.sunke

Post by s.sunke »

Same problem here. Using the link in Outlook results in the error message.
However, I can add the link in Google Calendar or on an iOS Device and it works just fine there.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

russellhltn wrote:However, I suspect there may be a problem with the calendar server as my attempt to use the link in a browser results in the lds "Out of Service" message.
Interesting. I used the link in Chrome but under a different "user" and it worked fine. (downloaded an ics file) Something odd about that chrome user.

s.sunke

Post by s.sunke »

russellhltn wrote:
russellhltn wrote:However, I suspect there may be a problem with the calendar server as my attempt to use the link in a browser results in the lds "Out of Service" message.
Interesting. I used the link in Chrome but under a different "user" and it worked fine. (downloaded an ics file) Something odd about that chrome user.
In Firefox I end up on outofservice.lds.org all the time. In Chrome/Edge one call every 9min works -> subsequent calls end up in an empty page.
dcosby

Post by dcosby »

I have a feeling this may be related to some recent changes with outlook and accepted types of encryption, maybe the calendar server is using an older version?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

You might try posting the http verson of the link into Outlook. It appears the purpose of using the webcal is to make the OS ask what you want to use to open it with.

s.sunke

Post by s.sunke »

Just did some testing with Outlook, my webserver and an ICS file. Seems that Outlook (2013 32bit) tries to open the file twice for one sync attempt:
Outlook-ICS1.png
(8.49 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Outlook-ICS2.png
(15.98 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Would it be possible to temporarily remove the 9min throttling limit for testing, so we can rule out Outlook's "double-tap" as the reason for the problem?

Return to “Calendar”