Calendar 3.0 released

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
ricnel
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:50 am

Re: Calendar 3.0 released

Postby ricnel » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:35 pm

In response to russellhtln, yes in my iPad I see under the "Choose Calendar" the 3 buildings in my stake. This is where I see the information that one of the building was reserved for April 11th. On my phone app, I likewise have the option to see the calendar of all 3 buildings in my stake. Scrapesue states the LDS.org and LDS Tools are different programs. I just don't see why the 2 different programs can't share or sync the same information and show what is happening in the buildings on each program. Thanks

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 27152
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Calendar 3.0 released

Postby russellhltn » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:55 pm

ricnel wrote:yes in my iPad I see under the "Choose Calendar" the 3 buildings in my stake.

Ok, then someone has created a stake calendar with those names. Those are not the real building calendars and cannot be relied upon.

This has been a common enough problem that it's been addressed in the Calendar Help:
Never create a location calendar for a Church-owned building or you will end up with duplicate calendars. Many stakes have made this mistake, and instructions can be found below to solve this problem. Also, never use a stake or ward calendar as a building calendar.


I highly recommend that you work with the stake to fix that situation or it will cause more confusion.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

RBeatse
Member
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:47 am

Re: Calendar 3.0 released

Postby RBeatse » Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:14 am

I think they’re are as many ways to do private/personal events as there are Stakes. :)

We don’t have others subscribe to the Private Events calendar because those that have the event know when it is and the rest don’t need to. We were having issues with “wedding/reunion/funeral crashers”. LOL

kjens
New Member
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:36 pm

Re: Calendar 3.0 released

Postby kjens » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:39 pm

Well, you could solve the "crashes" by just showing the Event as a "Jones Family Event." In my Stake, I created a STAKE-LEVEL "Family Events" Calendar so those trying to check potential building availability with the (so far un-syncable) LDSTools, are able to see that the building is being used. I do train other Calendar Admins and Editors to BE SURE to list a Contact person for the Event at the bottom of the new "Create Event" screen. That way, if the Calendar Admin or Editor is not available in a time-sensitive "emergency," such as a funeral, one can at least try to contact the person having the Event.

casper684
Member
Posts: 68
Joined: Tue May 03, 2011 6:12 pm
Location: Camas, WA

Re: Calendar 3.0 released

Postby casper684 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:58 pm

I still encourage contact info in description as I am finding people don't like
to have to click another details button AND everyone used to doing it that way.
BUT also now encourage them to fill out the "event organizer info" but that one
taking some time to catch on to. In description makes it much quicker to see.

scrapsue
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:30 pm

Re: Calendar 3.0 released

Postby scrapsue » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:57 pm

kjens wrote:Well, you could solve the "crashes" by just showing the Event as a "Jones Family Event." In my Stake, I created a STAKE-LEVEL "Family Events" Calendar so those trying to check potential building availability with the (so far un-syncable) LDSTools, are able to see that the building is being used. I .


Your idea for the SAKE-LEVEL “Family Events" Calendar to help people using Tools to find potential building availability seems unusual to me. People can’t & shouldn’t try to use Tools to see if a building is available, They won’t get a complete picture of the events scheduled in the buildings since each Unit can only see Stake & the their Units calendars if another unit has scheduled an event in that building iit won’t show up on Tools for them.

RBeatse
Member
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:47 am

Re: Calendar 3.0 released

Postby RBeatse » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:12 pm

scrapsue wrote:
kjens wrote:Well, you could solve the "crashes" by just showing the Event as a "Jones Family Event." In my Stake, I created a STAKE-LEVEL "Family Events" Calendar so those trying to check potential building availability with the (so far un-syncable) LDSTools, are able to see that the building is being used. I .


Your idea for the SAKE-LEVEL “Family Events" Calendar to help people using Tools to find potential building availability seems unusual to me. People can’t & shouldn’t try to use Tools to see if a building is available, They won’t get a complete picture of the events scheduled in the buildings since each Unit can only see Stake & the their Units calendars if another unit has scheduled an event in that building iit won’t show up on Tools for them.


While I agree, in principle, you don’t know if the @kjens lives in an area that only has one Ward in a building. In which case, LDS Tools would work fine. In our case, we have one person in the Stake (me) who schedules all of the buildings in the Stake for personal/private events, even funerals go through me so that we can manage it all effectively.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 27152
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Calendar 3.0 released

Postby russellhltn » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:27 pm

kjens wrote:In my Stake, I created a STAKE-LEVEL "Family Events" Calendar so those trying to check potential building availability with the (so far un-syncable) LDSTools, are able to see that the building is being used.

While creating the stake-level calendar is fine, suggesting that LDS Tools can be used to see if the building is in use is a bad idea. Even if you live in an area where only one ward uses the building, all it would take is for one event on a calendar that someone isn't subscribed (on the lds.org website) to create a problem.

The most reliable options:
  • Use the browser to check the location calendar on lds.org
  • If you want to use the building, schedule it. If you're able to schedule it, then you know you have it.
Anything else is likely to come back and bite you when someone does the check imperfectly.

Frankly, I'd think the whole idea of "if no one else is using it then I can" is a bit iffy. Leaders no longer have a sense of what the building is being used for and there's no record of who was the last to use something. It just doesn't feel fully above board, IMO.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

RBeatse
Member
Posts: 157
Joined: Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:47 am

Re: Calendar 3.0 released

Postby RBeatse » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:42 pm

I can definitely agree. Our Stake President tells Stake and Ward leaders, “If it’s not on the calendar, it’s like it’s not really happening.”

scrapsue
New Member
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:30 pm

Re: Calendar 3.0 released

Postby scrapsue » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:32 pm

RBeatse wrote:I can definitely agree. Our Stake President tells Stake and Ward leaders, “If it’s not on the calendar, it’s like it’s not really happening.”


I love that! I say the some thing like that but not quite as succinct as your Stake Pres. I’m going to borrow that.


Return to “Calendar”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest