Import Calendar Events

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
palms2

Import Calendar Events

Post by palms2 »

Last year I was able to import many events at once using an ical file. I don't see the import option anymore. Is it still available? If not, is there another way to import many events at once?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Import Calendar Events

Post by russellhltn »

I'm not sure which direction you're trying to go. There hasn't been any way to import activities into the calendar in some time. The iCal file to get an export to personal calendars is still there. It's under Sync.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
alexsbradley

Post by alexsbradley »

I recall doing the same thing last year. You could go to Settings -> Import Events, and open a .ics file and import it into the Stake calendar. That feature was very helpful.
bweight

Post by bweight »

I too used this feature last year to put the entire Stake Calendar together. We use a spreadsheet to generate all of the meetings and that then exports to an iCAl file. This allow me to quickly create and review the next year, making changes to dates.

We have 4 main calendars for the stake with hundreds of events. I just finished getting it all ready to load into the LDS Calendar system and noticed that the Import option is gone. PLEASE bring this back or give us a URL to a hidden page or something. Why remove something that was working when the new UI design was released. I now have to create, one by one, every one of these events. It is going to take me hours to accomplish this.
vogelman

Post by vogelman »

Is there any update on this feature. The online calendar is years behind other calendar applications in functionality. Removing functionality and then requiring leaders to input calendar events one by one is disrespectful to the sacred time of leaders. We talk all the time about the sacred funds of the church, what about the sacred time of its members??
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

vogelman wrote:Is there any update on this feature.
There's been no change. We rarely hear about anything in the works.

One of the big issues with a import is dealing with the facilities and what happens if there's a conflict. If an import was created, odds are you'd have to go though each event one by one to add the location. That tends to defeat the purpose.

The best way to deal with this seems to be to have everyone add their own events directly to the calendar during the planning phase rather than trying to do it off-line.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

russellhltn wrote:The best way to deal with this seems to be to have everyone add their own events directly to the calendar during the planning phase rather than trying to do it off-line.
Years ago, I asked the members of the stake council to create their events for the coming year on the church calendar during the planning phase. Then we could discuss any conflicts during the stake council meeting in November. The stake YM president thought I was doing things backwards, since the first person to claim a given resource and time block was the "winner" and all others would be blocked by the system. He wanted us to resolve all conflicts before the calendar events were created.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska

Return to “Calendar”