Shared temple calendar

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
RBeatse

Shared temple calendar

Post by RBeatse »

With the closing of the Salt Lake Temple, the Jordan River Temple has had 34 Stakes added to its temple district. The temple and is within my Stake boundaries and I handle the calendar for the buildings, which includes the building right next door. Normally, there is a gate between the Temple and the Ward parking lots but they want to keep it open to accommodate more patron parking. If we have an event in the building that would need the parking, then they will close the gate. So...

I am looking for any ideas on how to let the Temple Recorder's office know when we have events without having to make multiple calls each week.

Idea 1
Can we give particular people, who are not in our Stake access to our Stake calendar so that they could see what was going on each day? I am guessing the answer is "No", but you gotta ask!

Idea 2
I deselected all of the calendars that I could see and all of the building designations except for the one particular building and that showed just the items in the building. That was great! I planned to get the Sync link for this configuration so that I could sync it to a Google Calendar that we could all use but when I went to the Sync page, it only showed the Church-Wide, Stake, and Ward calendars as options, not the Building designation.

Idea 3
Create a "stake" calendar that is "Building X Parking Lot" and for everything that we add to the one building, we create another calendar entry on this calendar and create a sync of just that one calendar. Seems like a lot of work but not as much as the phone calls.

Does anyone have an idea on how to do this so that they would always be able to see the latest building usages and times so we don't have to call them constantly as events are added and changed?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Shared temple calendar

Post by russellhltn »

RBeatse wrote: Idea 1
Can we give particular people, who are not in our Stake access to our Stake calendar so that they could see what was going on each day?
They have to be a member of the stake. It's possible they could be be added as a out-of-unit member, but they may have to be given a calling to make it work.

RBeatse wrote: Idea 2
but when I went to the Sync page, it only showed the Church-Wide, Stake, and Ward calendars as options, not the Building designation.
Building calendars don't sync.

RBeatse wrote: Idea 3
Create a "stake" calendar that is "Building X Parking Lot" and for everything that we add to the one building, we create another calendar entry on this calendar and create a sync of just that one calendar. Seems like a lot of work but not as much as the phone calls.
That's likely to cause confusion. Since there are usually a number of leaders that can add/edit events on the ward calendar, it's likely someone will add an event and not add it to the parking lot calendar. There will be mistakes.

My suggestion would be to for each Sunday, pull up the building calendar in week mode, do a screen shot, and send it as a email. It's not perfect, but it's quick and easy. The only problem is if people change the events during the week. in that case, they would be responsible to tell the temple. Or, you can tell them that's what they get for doing it on short notice.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

Thanks for the suggestions. I was pretty sure of the first two ideas and how they would turn out. The third one was more hopeful.
I will return and report if we come up with a good solution!!
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The recorder could be added as an out-of-unit member and given the calling "Building Scheduler" or something similar.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

OK, that might be what we do. It is that or create a new calendar that we keep up just for parking lot. This is going to go on for at least 4 years so we want to do something that isn’t too burdensome on either side. Does the out of unit member piece get added first by a Stake Membership Clerk?

Thanks for the assistance.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Yes, I don't have access currently and it's been a while since I've added an out-of-unit member, but because building scheduler is a stake calling, I think the stake clerk can add him directly to the calling without a separate step to add an out-of-unit member. The stake clerk will need the recorder's membership record number. Make sure it's a standard calling that he's added to (not a custom calling) so he can have the access he needs.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
RBeatse

Post by RBeatse »

After speaking to my Stk Presidency, we have decided to go with creating a new Stake calendar just for the parking and, when needed, we will put something on that calendar to denote it. It is a little clugey but the whole situation is also! Then I will create a calendar sync url so that the Temple Recorder can view the one calendar. So, my question is (if anyone knows)...
What calendar software do they use and can it take an external calendar url to get updates (Outlook, etc.)? If we can't use their internal calendar software, we can use a Google calendar I will set up just for them. AS they say...Where's there's a will...there's a relative!

Return to “Calendar”