Adding ward's High Council representative to private calendar?

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
davesudweeks
Senior Member
Posts: 2042
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA

Re: Adding ward's High Council representative to private calendar?

Postby davesudweeks » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:38 pm

Not to fork the thread, but when I served on the high council some years ago, our stake president specifically instructed the HC members to not attend bishopric meetings unless invited and then to do so only on an invite by invite basis. In his mind, the bishop should reach out to the HC if needed but the HC should "stay out of the bishop's chili" for the most part. We were instructed to attend most ward council meetings as we were able but were again cautioned that we were there primarily as an observer to support the bishop and to be careful to not be seen as directing the council's business.

Of course, every stake president has the keys to implement as they feel inspired. I just found this thread mildly entertaining given the direction in my stake when I served on the HC (not the stake I'm in currently). I think the church has the ability to code the calendar allow stake members on ward private calendars if they want to and (personally) take the fact the it cannot be done as a sign that either it is not specifically desired or not high enough on their priority list to warrant coding time.

chriswirick
New Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:57 am

Re: Adding ward's High Council representative to private calendar?

Postby chriswirick » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:43 pm

davesudweeks wrote:I think the church has the ability to code the calendar allow stake members on ward private calendars if they want to and (personally) take the fact the it cannot be done as a sign that either it is not specifically desired or not high enough on their priority list to warrant coding time.


Or maybe it's just a request they've never received before (thus never considered?), which is what their tech folks told me.

Our High Council rep comes to all our Bishopric meetings and is much-appreciated there. I'm not sure if that's the stake's directive or just him responding to the wants/needs of my Bishop (I've only been in the Bishopric for a month).

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 30418
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Adding ward's High Council representative to private calendar?

Postby russellhltn » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:12 pm

chriswirick wrote:Our High Council rep comes to all our Bishopric meetings and is much-appreciated there. I'm not sure if that's the stake's directive or just him responding to the wants/needs of my Bishop (I've only been in the Bishopric for a month).

According to the General Handbook 5.5.1:
As invited or assigned, high councilors attend bishopric and ward council meetings.


That certainly encompasses a range of attendance.

My guess is that usually the meeting is at a standard time and place (1st and 3rd Sunday at 9AM) so it's not really necessary to have access to the calendar to keep track. Having to have access to the calendar suggest the meetings are all over the place in terms of scheduling.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

chriswirick
New Member
Posts: 20
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:57 am

Re: Adding ward's High Council representative to private calendar?

Postby chriswirick » Tue Mar 09, 2021 5:41 pm

russellhltn wrote:
chriswirick wrote:My guess is that usually the meeting is at a standard time and place (1st and 3rd Sunday at 9AM) so it's not really necessary to have access to the calendar to keep track. Having to have access to the calendar suggest the meetings are all over the place in terms of scheduling.


Yes, 90% of the time the meetings are at the same time/place. It's the 10% that sticks in the gears.

"I was at the church at 8 am but no one else was there."
"Didn't you get the text about the change?"
"No, but I didn't have service much of the day yesterday."
"Sorry about that."

Calendars are best when dealing with dates/times.


Return to “Calendar”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest