Can a Stake opt out of new calendar?

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
skiptaylor

Can a Stake opt out of new calendar?

Post by skiptaylor »

Is there any way to opt out of the new calendar and use the old one until the new one is ready for prime time?

We've had a lot of confusion with people not being able to get to the right calendars and such.

Would make life a tad easier around here.
Skip Taylor :eek:
Lancaster CA.
kd7mha

Post by kd7mha »

The only thing I can think of is to place a repeating event on the calendar you don't use letting everyone know to use the other one
There are 11 types of people. Those who understand Gray Code and those that don't.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

skiptaylor wrote:Is there any way to opt out of the new calendar and use the old one until the new one is ready for prime time?

Seems like it should be easy. Just delete all the calendars. If there's no data, they'll look elsewhere.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kisaac
Community Moderators

Post by kisaac »

Obviously you could stay as you are until the old one, "classic LUWS," goes away, which I think the help files now say will be near the end of 2011. The question then arises, do you mandate each ward stay with "classic" for their own ward use? (Because the word is out that it is available.) If you just don't make any new stake calendars on the new system, you're not really opting out, your just not opting in....
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

Since the default calendar for those entering via lds.org is the new one, it gives the impression that our calendars are all blank (far from it). Perhaps a repeating entry will be the only way... now to figure out how to propagate that through all calendars. Somehow I feel I've been asked to staple jello to a tree..
Lancaster CA.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

skiptaylor wrote:now to figure out how to propagate that through all calendars.

For that I'd suggest deleting all but one calendar.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
tortdog

Post by tortdog »

skiptaylor wrote:Somehow I feel I've been asked to staple jello to a tree..

If you add enough carrots and stick with green, it attaches easier.

In our units, the stake has moved slow, along with several wards, but a few wards have marched forward full steam. The wards that have done that don't seem to mind as it keeps the focus on the ward level. I imagine that the wards will ultimately force the stake to catch up as members forget to check the "classic" site.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

tortdog wrote:In our units, the stake has moved slow, along with several wards, but a few wards have marched forward full steam. The wards that have done that don't seem to mind as it keeps the focus on the ward level. I imagine that the wards will ultimately force the stake to catch up as members forget to check the "classic" site.

I can see how that might happen, but still, there has to be a notion of the "official" calendar, particularly for resource scheduling. You can't have a ward schedule one building with the new site and the stake schedule that same building with the classic site. So firm decisions do have to get made with clear communication.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
tortdog

Post by tortdog »

aebrown wrote:You can't have a ward schedule one building with the new site and the stake schedule that same building with the classic site.
Absolutely true in that case. Our SPcy is currently grappling with what assignment to give the person who traditionally scheduled the stake center's resources with the new system, which is one reason the stake is holding back. It knows how the old one works, but even the most tech savvy SP member is not certain he likes how the new system assigns rights and responsibilities. He was discussing the issue with me in the course of setting up our ward's resources at a ward building, but I did not understand his concern.

If the wards that have moved forward start losing track of the stake events, I assume that we will start to get some pull back from the stake in some form.
skiptaylor

Post by skiptaylor »

Is there any real training in place for the new calendar system? I'm not quite sure what to do with it. I can only imagine what less experienced users will experience. It appears I'm stuck at my Ward level yet I'm an Admin but I can't do anything it appears but create calendars. The existing ones I'm apparently not authorized for. On the old system, I'm the Stake Administrator. Guess that doesn't count in this new thing.

*sigh* Too much change, way too fast.
Lancaster CA.

Return to “Calendar”