Unable to Sync to Google

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
joxsmith
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:46 pm

Postby joxsmith » Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:49 pm

I am having much the same problem. I get the error stating that the Settings Error: We could not parse the calendar at the URL requested. When I run it through the validator as suggested above I get the following error...The validator couldn't parse your input. Things to check:

Was the URL correct?
Was it really in iCalendar format? Sometimes, for example, an URL that you think points to an iCalendar feed really points to a web page that in turn points to the feed.
Does it load into another calendar program, such as Google Calendar, Hotmail Calendar, Outlook, etc? If not then there's almost certainly something badly wrong.
If your feed fails in other calendar programs too, here's how to narrow down the problem:

Capture a copy of the feed in a file.
Try removing things and validating each reduced version as a snippet. Eventually you'll get to a minimal version that works. Then try adding things back to see what breaks.
Back to the iCalendar Validator

Message: expecting "END", found '7'

Stack trace: at antlr.Parser.match(Int32 t) at DDay.iCal.iCalParser.component(ISerializationContext ctx, ISerializerFactory sf, ICalendarComponentFactory cf, ICalendarObject o) in C:\Users\jon\dday-1.0\DDay.iCal\Serialization\iCalendar\iCalParser.cs:line 457 at DDay.iCal.iCalParser.icalbody(ISerializationContext ctx, IICalendar iCal) in C:\Users\jon\dday-1.0\DDay.iCal\Serialization\iCalendar\iCalParser.cs:line 230 at DDay.iCal.iCalParser.icalendar(ISerializationContext ctx) in C:\Users\jon\dday-1.0\DDay.iCal\Serialization\iCalendar\iCalParser.cs:line 157 at DDay.iCal.Serialization.iCalendar.iCalendarSerializer.Deserialize(TextReader tr) in C:\Users\jon\dday-1.0\DDay.iCal\Serialization\iCalendar\Serializers\iCalendarSerializer.cs:line 100 at DDay.iCal.Serialization.iCalendar.SerializerBase.Deserialize(Stream stream, Encoding encoding) in C:\Users\jon\dday-1.0\DDay.iCal\Serialization\iCalendar\Serializers\SerializerBase.cs:line 54 at DDay.iCal.iCalendar.LoadFromStream(Stream s, Encoding e, ISerializer serializer) in C:\Users\jon\dday-1.0\DDay.iCal\iCalendar.cs:line 216 at DDay.iCal.iCalendar.LoadFromStream(Stream s) in C:\Users\jon\dday-1.0\DDay.iCal\iCalendar.cs:line 178 at ValidatorWebRole._Default.Validate(Int64 byteCount, TextReader tr, String id) in C:\Users\jon\icalvalid\gitwork\icalvalid\DDay.iCal.Validator.Client.CloudApp\ValidatorWebRole\Default.aspx.cs:line 346

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15123
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Mon Oct 31, 2011 6:08 am

joxsmith wrote:I am having much the same problem. I get the error stating that the Settings Error: We could not parse the calendar at the URL requested. When I run it through the validator as suggested above I get the following error...The validator couldn't parse your input.


If you want to narrow it down, the advice given by the validator is quite sound:
joxsmith wrote:Capture a copy of the feed in a file.
Try removing things and validating each reduced version as a snippet. Eventually you'll get to a minimal version that works. Then try adding things back to see what breaks.


That's a tedious process, but it will work. If you keep cutting it in half, it shouldn't take too long. In the earlier case, that's what I did, and I found the problematic event in less than 10 minutes.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

joxsmith
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 7:46 pm

Postby joxsmith » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:10 am

I am new at this so ... How does one capture a copy of the feed in a file?

mclay
New Member
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:46 am
Location: Central Florida

Postby mclay » Tue Nov 01, 2011 7:36 am

I was finally able to get my calendar to import! Thank you to everyone who offered suggestions!

joxsmith, your error looks very similar to mine. If the iCal parser hits a control character, it barfs and produces a stack trace for the parser program itself (not your calendar file). That can be misleading.

I would recommend you download your calendar as a file for examination. You can do this by placing your calendar URL from the lds.org website into your browser location bar and press enter. You will be presented with a dialog to save a file. Save it and open it with a text editor (i.e. notepad). Chances are most likely that the offending characters will be in one of the "SUMMARY:" or "DESCRIPTION:" fields since these are the fields that are user editable. Scroll through your file, checking the text following these fields for anything that doesn't look right. In my case, I had a couple entries like the following:

[INDENT]BEGIN:VEVENT
DTSTAMP:20111031T192311Z
DTSTART;VALUE=DATE;VALUE=DATE:20111210
DTEND;VALUE=DATE;VALUE=DATE:20111211
SUMMARY:High Council Speaking Assignment
UID:000000000000000000000000000000000000001029419@calendarws.lds.org
DESCRIPTION:"... " <table compact><caption><b>Assignments:</b></caption><tr><td><small>Buena Vista        </td> <td><small>...</td></tr> <tr><td><small>Bumby</td>
<td><small>...</td></tr>
<tr><td><small>Conway</td> <td><small>...</td></tr> <tr><td><small>Ocoee</td> <td><small>...</td></tr> <tr><td><small>Olympia</td> <td><small>...</td></tr> <tr><td><small>Semoran</td> <td><small>...</td></tr> <tr><td><small>Windermere</td> <td><small>...</td></tr>
<tr><td><small>Windy Ridge</td> <td><small>...</td></tr> <tr><td><small>Winter Garden</td> <td><small>...</td></tr> </table>
END:VEVENT
[/INDENT]

You'll notice that the DESCRIPTION contains HTML (which should just be treated as text) but also, at the end of Buena Vista, are some funky A's. Since this calendar entry is related to the stake (High Council), I contacted the stake Executive Secretary and asked him to clean them up. Once he did that, viola!! It imported just fine.

Hope this helps! Sorry if it's a little verbose. I like leaving detailed information for people who search the forum for similar problems. :-)

pwilson
Member
Posts: 60
Joined: Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:52 pm

Postby pwilson » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:04 pm

Any idea while the calendar ical would work on an iOS device, but not Google? I was able to use the iCalendar Validator and found errors and my Google Calendar will not accept it, but my iphone does just fine...

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 30327
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Postby russellhltn » Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:07 pm

pwilson wrote:I was able to use the iCalendar Validator and found errors and my Google Calendar will not accept it, but my iphone does just fine...


Apparently iOS is more forgiving then Google.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

benmoronilee
New Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:22 pm
Location: San Tan Valley, Arizona, USA

Postby benmoronilee » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:49 pm

mclay wrote:I was finally able to get my calendar to import! Thank you to everyone who offered suggestions!

joxsmith, your error looks very similar to mine. If the iCal parser hits a control character, it barfs and produces a stack trace for the parser program itself (not your calendar file). That can be misleading.

I would recommend you download your calendar as a file for examination. You can do this by placing your calendar URL from the lds.org website into your browser location bar and press enter. You will be presented with a dialog to save a file. Save it and open it with a text editor (i.e. notepad). Chances are most likely that the offending characters will be in one of the "SUMMARY:" or "DESCRIPTION:" fields since these are the fields that are user editable. Scroll through your file, checking the text following these fields for anything that doesn't look right. In my case, I had a couple entries like the following:

[INDENT]BEGIN:VEVENT
DTSTAMP:20111031T192311Z
DTSTART;VALUE=DATE;VALUE=DATE:20111210
DTEND;VALUE=DATE;VALUE=DATE:20111211
SUMMARY:High Council Speaking Assignment
UID:000000000000000000000000000000000000001029419@calendarws.lds.org
DESCRIPTION:"... " <table compact><caption><b>Assignments:</b></caption><tr><td><small>Buena Vista        </td> <td><small>...</td></tr> <tr><td><small>Bumby</td>
<td><small>...</td></tr>
<tr><td><small>Conway</td> <td><small>...</td></tr> <tr><td><small>Ocoee</td> <td><small>...</td></tr> <tr><td><small>Olympia</td> <td><small>...</td></tr> <tr><td><small>Semoran</td> <td><small>...</td></tr> <tr><td><small>Windermere</td> <td><small>...</td></tr>
<tr><td><small>Windy Ridge</td> <td><small>...</td></tr> <tr><td><small>Winter Garden</td> <td><small>...</td></tr> </table>
END:VEVENT
[/INDENT]

You'll notice that the DESCRIPTION contains HTML (which should just be treated as text) but also, at the end of Buena Vista, are some funky A's. Since this calendar entry is related to the stake (High Council), I contacted the stake Executive Secretary and asked him to clean them up. Once he did that, viola!! It imported just fine.

Hope this helps! Sorry if it's a little verbose. I like leaving detailed information for people who search the forum for similar problems. :-)


Perhaps a better solution is to have event submission script filter out control characters in the event descriptions and titles (heck, out of any user-specified field)? I had the same problem with back-to-back carriage returns in one of the event descriptions. Google and iCalValidator kept having issues with this. Calendar event submitters can't see that they've pasted control characters in the dialog boxes. So, to be safe, the submission script needs to simply filter these out.


Return to “Calendar”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests