Unable to modify recurring event "exceptions"

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
ceolsen

Unable to modify recurring event "exceptions"

Post by ceolsen »

I love the new version. particularly the "Setup" and "Cleanup" support and being able to schedule locations and rooms for private Calendars".
However, I have a rather serious problem. On Version 1 of the calendar, I documented Ward Assignments at our local Bishop Storehouse. Rather than entering 30 separate events, I defined a single recurring event for every day during the month, then went back and modified each event to contain the unit name and special time or number of volunteers required.
Now, on Version 2, since the entire title is no longer visible on the online calendar (although it is in the printed version), I need to go back and edit each entry again, and compress the title so the name of the Ward is visible on each entry. To my surprise I started getting duplicate copies of the events, scattered through the month. I am unable to delete these "bogus" events ... I get a message that "Sorry, data is temporarily unavailable ..." If I try to delete the entire series (and start over) from the "Edit" panel, it just hangs ... no spinning windmill ... no blocked cursor ...just hangs.
Can anyone tell me how to resolve this conundrum?
mnmpeterson

Post by mnmpeterson »

I'm having the same problem with repeating events that have exceptions. I cannot edit or delete them. If I try to delete them I get the dreaded temporarily unavailable error. If I try to edit them it just hangs. I hope the Church fixes this quickly. Our stake is waiting for final approval of our 2012 calendar so the wards can plan events around the stake events.
mnmpeterson

Post by mnmpeterson »

Well, I found out it's not just repeating events. I have a non-repeating event that won't delete either.
eyordy

Same problem

Post by eyordy »

I also had just completed the stake calendar for 2012 when the 2.0 upgrade hit. It somehow reset all of the recurring events for the months I had modified them and I had to do them all over again.

On another note, now when I am adding a new event, I can't find any of the locations - just "no location" or "other location"
ceolsen

just "no location" or "other location"

Post by ceolsen »

To: eyordy

You may not have "re-authorized" your locations after the conversion to V2. The instructions are to edit each location and add the time zone ... make whatever other changes may appear to be appropriate, then "Save" them. This should clear up this problem.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

If anyone can get us the event ID's of some of the events in question, we can investigate further.

First though, I'd ask that you verify the following:
- You are truly an editor of the calendar the event resides on
- As an explicit editor listed in the Editors section for that calendar
- By virtue of being an admin for the unit the calendar belongs to
- You can create events on that same calendar
- You can edit other events on that same calendar

Instructions for getting event ID's
- Install the Firefox add-on Firebug
- Open Firebug, click the Console tab, click the 'Enable' link
- Click on the event in question
- Click the 'View details' link
- In Firebug, look for the URL lds.org/church-calendar/services/lucrs/evt/#####
- The numbers at the end are the event ID's
ceolsen

Examples of failing events

Post by ceolsen »

Caution, here comes a long append:

I am the Stake Executive Secretary, and this position is listed in all the calendars controlled by the Stake. I have verified that I am listed as having a "standard" not a "custom" calling. I have made changes to several Stake calendars today, for instance, I moved an event from the Stake Youth calendar to the Stake Primary calendar. I also deleted a non-recurring event from the Stake Activities calendar:
https://lds.org/church-calendar/event.j ... Id=1030792

We seem to have problem primarily with recurring events, mainly on the Stake Activities and Stake Meetings Calendar. Of course, these are the calendars with the most events, and probably the only calendars with recurring events. Some events seem to be copied from valid events, but on the wrong days, and wrong replication factor. I have a printed copy of the calendar from a couple of weeks ago, and all these events were ok then.

Examples of events with which we are having problems:

https://lds.org/church-calendar/event.j ... Id=2690285
Stake Meetings calendar.
Semoran Branch Conference:
- Originally scheduled for January 15. I don't think this was a recurring event. More likely created as a "Copy Event" / "Paste Event" using the drop-down box on V1. Now, even the January 15th event is flagged as recurring.
- Now, repeats from 8 April until 30 June, 2012, every month on the second and third Sunday

https://lds.org/church-calendar/event.j ... Id=2691413
Stake Meetings calendar.
Stake Mission Correlation / Bishop Training. Scheduled for January, April, July and October. Those reservations are still there, but they also show up in February, May, August and November. And the Bishops' Welfare Council are also mixed in here, on two of the three months.
- tried to delete a recurring event (four occurrences)
- Just looped with spinning weather vanes
- I believe I moved these events last month, so the bogus entries may be old events which were deleted or moved.

https://lds.org/church-calendar/event.j ... Id=2687967
Stake Activities Calendar.
Bishop Storehouse (Bumby)
- The original event (November 1) is valid (replicated for thirty days, and each event modified to change the unit name, and some other details.
- Now it is on every day of the month, in addition to the original replicated entries, which now show up on the same day.
- tried to delete it and convert it to a non-recurring event
- Sometime it just hung, sometimes looped with spinning weather vanes
mnmpeterson

Post by mnmpeterson »

I believe the event's I'm having trouble with are events that I had previously moved before V2.
I had two repeating events that used the same resource -- one from 8am -noon, the other from noon - 4pm. The stake wanted to swap the two events but I couldn't just change the time of one event then the other because it caused a resource conflict. So I had to set one event to the middle of the night, set the other event to the proper time then go back to the first event and set it to the proper time.
With the switch to V2 I got duplicates of these events and I can't delete or edit the duplicates.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

mnmpeterson wrote:With the switch to V2 I got duplicates of these events and I can't delete or edit the duplicates.

Yes, it seems that all exceptions to the rules are still around after the migration to v2, but the events that follow the rules have also reappeared.

I occasionally have problems going through the Event Details to delete a particular event (eternal spinner). But I've had 100% success using the right-click option for "Delete this event only" to delete one instance of a repeating event (works great with either an exceptional instance or a rule-following instance).
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.
ceolsen

Post by ceolsen »

mnmpeterson: "events that I had previously moved before V2."
This seems to apply to my situation as well. Repeating events which I modified are now showing up as the original event, and the modified event. It is as if "Leiche" (Deleted but not purged) events reappeared after the conversion to V2.

aebrown: "right-click option" I was able to remove most of my erroneous events using "right-Click", then "delete this event only" . However, this chain I cannot get rid of: https://lds.org/church-calendar/event.j ... Id=2687967. I receive a pop-up: "Sorry, data is temporarily not available for this application. Please try again later".

Return to “Calendar”