Out of Unit Leader Photos

Discussions about the Directory Tool on lds.org. Questions about the Directory on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
CSnelson
New Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:59 am

Postby CSnelson » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:17 pm

So there is no way for me to take a photo of my stake president and upload it and have it approved by him or anyone else in our stake for at least our YSA stake?

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15128
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:28 pm

CSnelson wrote:So there is no way for me to take a photo of my stake president and upload it and have it approved by him or anyone else in our stake for at least our YSA stake?
That's correct. His membership records are not in your stake, and therefore you have no jurisdiction over approving his photo. That responsibility lies with his home ward, where his membership records are.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

CSnelson
New Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:59 am

Postby CSnelson » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:30 pm

Is there a reason why there isn't a stake level administrator that can approve photos?

User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15128
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

Postby aebrown » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:32 pm

CSnelson wrote:Is there a reason why there isn't a stake level administrator that can approve photos?
I don't know; that's just the way it was implemented. But that particular issue has nothing to do with YSA stakes -- even stake level clerks and leaders in regular stakes can't do anything with photos.
Questions that can benefit the larger community should be asked in a public forum, not a private message.

CSnelson
New Member
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:59 am

Postby CSnelson » Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:35 pm

Yeah I realize that it has nothing to do with this particular issue but at the same time it kinda does because we have feeder stakes for leadership and it would be nice to be able to just call up the clerk of those ten or so stakes and get it taken care of instead of each leader having to go ask their home ward clerk to take care of it.

ehallmark
New Member
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:58 pm

Re: Out of Unit Leader Photos

Postby ehallmark » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:04 am

I am wondering what the likelihood is for letting the ward website administrator in a YSA ward approve photos for their own out-of-unit leader photos. Surely there should be a way that MLS could "find" the leader and identify them with the ward, considering that they show up in the ward leadership section. Is there a simple programming fix that would allow their names to appear as options in the photo upload section if said names are identified in the leadership section? This would save a lot of time as I do not have time to try to find and contact the names of the home ward website administrator for each of the members of our bishopric. We would like to have the photos accessible for new members to become more familiar with the bishopric more quickly. Thank you for considering this!

jdlessley
Community Moderators
Posts: 8669
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:30 am
Location: USA, TX

Re: Out of Unit Leader Photos

Postby jdlessley » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:00 am

ehallmark wrote:I am wondering what the likelihood is for letting the ward website administrator in a YSA ward approve photos for their own out-of-unit leader photos.
This is possible. But programming to permit one unit to edit membership records in another unit may be required. Or programming that allows a photo to be linked to a temporary record would be needed. I think the second option is the best choice. I am sure they are working on a solution. We just don't know what it is or when it will be deployed.
ehallmark wrote:Surely there should be a way that MLS could "find" the leader and identify them with the ward, considering that they show up in the ward leadership section.
Leaders serving as out of unit members have a temporary record created in the unit MLS for the unit they are serving in. That temporary record is not linked for update purposes to their permanent record. Any changes made to the temporary record only reside within the service unit's MLS.
ehallmark wrote:Is there a simple programming fix that would allow their names to appear as options in the photo upload section if said names are identified in the leadership section?
I don't know the complexity of any programming required to link a photo to a temporary record. Currently photos can only be linked to permanent records. A solution to this issue would benefit other temporary record photo situations such as for nonmember spouses.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center?

User avatar
sbradshaw
Community Moderators
Posts: 5428
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:42 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Re: Out of Unit Leader Photos

Postby sbradshaw » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:15 am

jdlessley wrote:I don't know the complexity of any programming required to link a photo to a temporary record. Currently photos can only be linked to permanent records. A solution to this issue would benefit other temporary record photo situations such as for nonmember spouses.
If temporary records had their own data synced to LDS.org it would also allow bishops to put preferred contact info for their members vs. their home ward – for example, a bishop might have an email address "ward-bishop-123@example.com" for his members to email him where he's serving, and a different email address for his home ward members to contact him...

jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee
Posts: 1978
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:12 am
Location: Farmington, UT, USA

Re: Out of Unit Leader Photos

Postby jonesrk » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:10 am

sbradshaw wrote:
jdlessley wrote:I don't know the complexity of any programming required to link a photo to a temporary record. Currently photos can only be linked to permanent records. A solution to this issue would benefit other temporary record photo situations such as for nonmember spouses.
If temporary records had their own data synced to LDS.org it would also allow bishops to put preferred contact info for their members vs. their home ward – for example, a bishop might have an email address "ward-bishop-123@example.com" for his members to email him where he's serving, and a different email address for his home ward members to contact him...
Actually he can have a different email for his calling in CDOL than he has in lds.org directory for his home ward.

User avatar
sbradshaw
Community Moderators
Posts: 5428
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:42 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

Re: Out of Unit Leader Photos

Postby sbradshaw » Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:15 am

JonesRK wrote:
sbradshaw wrote:
jdlessley wrote:I don't know the complexity of any programming required to link a photo to a temporary record. Currently photos can only be linked to permanent records. A solution to this issue would benefit other temporary record photo situations such as for nonmember spouses.
If temporary records had their own data synced to LDS.org it would also allow bishops to put preferred contact info for their members vs. their home ward – for example, a bishop might have an email address "ward-bishop-123@example.com" for his members to email him where he's serving, and a different email address for his home ward members to contact him...
Actually he can have a different email for his calling in CDOL than he has in lds.org directory for his home ward.
That's true, but the members of his ward won't be able to look up his email on CDOL...


Return to “Directory”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users