New circle mask on directory photos

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
mevans

Re: New circle mask on directory photos

Post by mevans »

At least the photo distortion problem is gone, but I was really hoping the circles would disappear and never come back. I still have several heads cut off due to the circle mask. The problem is the worst on people who had photos with a portrait orientation instead of a landscape orientation. Typically, the head isn't centered in this orientation. Some of these are people who uploaded professionally-taken work photos that looked great and now their heads are cut off.

In several circumstances, I've taken and uploaded the photos and I try to crop them to a square when I do this. Those come out okay with the circle mask, but that's certainly not everyone. Can't they just leave this alone? I see no absolutely no benefit to the circle mask.

I also have some photos uploaded recently that have revered to a previous photo. One newly-baptized family doesn't even show the address. It just shows their names and spins forever trying to upload their address, phone, email, pictures, etc. I don't know if that's because I had uploaded their photos recently, too, or if it's an unrelated problem, but it's not good that ward members can't see their contact info now.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I just checked LCR for the family I mentioned previously that does not appear in the Directory. They show up in LCR with their photos there. I don't know why the directory is hung up on them.
chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

The circle thing often misses the face in the photo so that you get 2/3 of a face or it is so zoomed it is pixelated (source was probably poor). If a face in a photo is off-center (which many photographers intentionally do for aesthetic reasons), the circle misses. I can't find any way to edit the alignment after the fact to find the face (especially when the member uploaded the photo themselves I don't have the source).

On a personal note, I think the circle looks silly.
CrockettDR
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by CrockettDR »

If the photo is uploaded again, when the clerk approves the photo they can position the circle.
chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

CrockettDR wrote:If the photo is uploaded again, when the clerk approves the photo they can position the circle.
It's hard enough to get them to upload it the first time.... I'm not going to spend time trying to get them to upload again so I can fix the circles. I'd rather spend my time on those that don't have a photo.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Newly uploaded photos are also able to be higher resolution than were previously supported.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

sbradshaw wrote:Newly uploaded photos are also able to be higher resolution than were previously supported.
This is great news! (Now if they would just get rid of the circles.)
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

chriswoodut wrote:This is great news! (Now if they would just get rid of the circles.)
Nothing like a good game of peek-a-boo to liven up the directory search, is there?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

CrockettDR wrote:If the photo is uploaded again, when the clerk approves the photo they can position the circle.
The can, but will they? It would be better to allow the person uploading the photo to position the mask. That way it would get done. This would avoid he frustration by members who will upload a photo only to have the administrator who approves the photo do nothing to reposition the mask and only approve the photo with the mask cutting off the top of the subject's head once again.

An even better option would be to permit the mask repositioning at any time after the photo has been uploaded by either an administrator or authorized household member with edit permissions.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
mfmohlma

Post by mfmohlma »

jdlessley wrote:
They can, but will they?
Yes. I've approved a few since the change and I was presented with a mask adjustment before finalizing the approval. I really don't want people's heads cut off.
jdlessley wrote:It would be better to allow the person uploading the photo to position the mask. That way it would get done.
<snip>
An even better option would be to permit the mask repositioning at any time after the photo has been uploaded by either an administrator or authorized household member with edit permissions.
Good ideas. Feedback time? :)

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”