Beta Directory Issues

Discussions about the Ward Directory and Map tool on churchofjesuschrist.org.
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

So if I switch to my browser locale to Russian then I see the beta home page is mostly blank. I then switched my browser back to English and switched my LDS Account to Russian and was able to duplicate what you were seeing. I even tried setting my browser to Russian and it still failed. In FireFox with FireBug in the console I saw a 500 error on https://beta.lds.org/directory/services ... /str/index.

I believe that the beta release is still not fully supporting translations. I believe that is planned for a future release of the beta.
dobrichelovek

Thanks for looking.

Post by dobrichelovek »

Ryan,

Thank you so much for validating my error. I didn't manually change my browser locale to Russian, just my LDS Account, but I'm glad you're considering the other use cases. :o

I accept that this particular issue may not yet fully support translations, but my expectation would be that the default behavior would give me an English Language page with the proper data in the absence of the 'preferred' language. This, of course, is my opinion. I consider this a bug, as I shouldn't be restricted from having a nonstandard default language in order to use a certain site.

I also accept that this probably won't be corrected immediately, but it would be nice if there was an improvement to the system that would allow me to keep my default language as Russian, for the purpose of checking for just these types of problems, and keeping up with my language, and at the same time be able to use the site in the 'default' language, when the language I chose is not available.

You can't blame me for watching out for my brothers and sisters across the Bering Strait, as I know there are not many of them involved at this level so far. Part of the point of this rewrite is, after all, to have an internationally acceptable base for these applications so that it will be applicable for the whole worldwide church. ;)
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jonesrk »

dobrichelovek wrote: I accept that this particular issue may not yet fully support translations, but my expectation would be that the default behavior would give me an English Language page with the proper data in the absence of the 'preferred' language.
I would agree, it should default to English if your selected language is not supported yet. Hopefully the details of the bug will help the developers fix it more easily.
jdcr256
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by jdcr256 »

dobrichelovek wrote:I accept that this particular issue may not yet fully support translations, but my expectation would be that the default behavior would give me an English Language page with the proper data in the absence of the 'preferred' language.
The next release we do will go a long way toward handling internationalized character sets. The goal is to not only have the site be able to handle the characters, but to have the application translated to 10 major languages within the next few releases (over the course of the next few months).

Additionally, we finally found the root cause of the bug you were seeing where you would get the Directory UI, but no data. We were not handling the language setting from LDS Account correctly, unless the language set was English. That will be fixed (hopefully for good ;)) in our next release.
alan.richardson

Address and map location differ

Post by alan.richardson »

Noticed an oddity. We have a member that moved to our stake in Virginia from Idaho in December. Their address in the beta directory is correct (matches MLS and LUWS), but the link to "map the address" pulls up what appears to be the old (Idaho) address. Known beta issue?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

RichardsonAG wrote:Known beta issue?
I think it's been noted before that it's working with old location data.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
alan.richardson

Post by alan.richardson »

Does the local unit need to do anything to correct?
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

RichardsonAG wrote:Does the local unit need to do anything to correct?
No. As long as your MLS data is accurate. The fact that an older set of data is being used by the beta site is not within any control of the local unit.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?
zaneclark

Member search problem

Post by zaneclark »

In the current LUWS, when you use the Search for Member function, it brings up all the info on the member, including their ward. The beta member search feature does not indicate the ward. I see this as a major problem, as this is often vital information in a search. Any chance it can/will be fixed?
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

zaneclark wrote:In the current LUWS, when you use the Search for Member function, it brings up all the info on the member, including their ward. The beta member search feature does not indicate the ward. I see this as a major problem, as this is often vital information in a search. Any chance it can/will be fixed?
I would recommend that you submit your suggestion/question through the Feedback system in the beta site (beta.lds.org). This is the fastest way of getting your request to those who are working on the program.
Have you read the Code of Conduct?

Return to “Ward Directory and Map”