zaneclark wrote:At some point I am assuming we will be able to send a "broadcast" email to members as we now do with the current LUWS. I can see nothing yet in the tools or elsewhere on this feature. And another related question, if we do send a broadcast email from the new directory, will it still be limited to only those who have registered?
As Alan-Brown mentioned, we may not see any change in the beta directory. The email options in beta directory are "clunky" for leadership use, using mailto:
links which rely on your own email client. These seem to be for general membership use; for members to give feedback to leaders, or so they can contact another member. I don't think I want a "spam" button- to have all ward users have broadcast ability in the directory!
I believe the broadcast email features that a leader might use (and those you are seeking) are being developed under the "Leader and Clerk" app (tool.) I know there are major differences in the two:
see this post:
jdcr256 wrote:I'd just like to note that the Directory application, and the Leader/Clerk app are not the same thing. They are completely separate apps that live under the LDS.Org family.
That being said, the Directory application allows members to keep their own contact information up to date, and includes mailto: links for every member with an email address in the directory.
Additionally, our next release (coming soon) includes mailto: links in the Ward and Stake Leadership directories that will allow you to email an entire leadership group (e.g. click the link on the Elder's Quorum page to email the entire EQ Presidency).
These messaging tools (along with those in the Leader app) will continue to evolve over the next several months. Messaging is a core feature set driving these apps and we are finally getting to the point were we can start including some cool functionality. Stay tuned...
I Like what I see in the "leader and clerk" email messaging tool now, however, and use it for sending most of my outgoing clerk emails. I know that currently access to this tool is limited to a very few callings, but hope they work out the "permissions" soon. It still does lack the "broadcast to all members" feature, so when the whole ward needs to know, I must go back to LUWS for it.
Here is my "email upgrade wish list" for broadcast emails in the "Leader and clerk" tool, which are common in business uses every day...
1) BCC feature (blind carbon copy - so recipient can't see any others that may have also received the email) Currently, if you send an email, all recipients addresses are sent out to all, even those that have requested they NOT be distributed.
2) "Email all members" category. Useful for ward activity reminders, funeral arrangement notices, emergencies, etc. This is important! LUWS has this limited to all "users".
3) some kind of report. "you're email has been sent" in a pop up from "leaders and clerks" tool is not enough! In LUWS, an email "report" is sent to the sender, listing the contents and who it was sent to. This can then be filed, or it can be given to the bishop as a follow-through report (return and report.)
3) report or listing of "bounces." Whose email is not being delivered?
4) File system to save frequently used emails, or templates? I must re-write each weekly meeting reminder email because they cannot be saved as a template or archived as a "sent" copy.
5) Formatting or styles? it would be nice to bold or underline on occasion.
6) Automated feature? Just dreaming here. Could I set up an email to automatically be sent to ward council members each Wednesday before ward council to remind them?