Broken links on lds.org

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Broken links on lds.org

Post by russellhltn »

hendricksonmd wrote:I am having the same problem using IE 11.0.9600.17207 and Chrome 36.0.1985.125
Odd. I just tested with those exact same versions and it's working for me. Despite my title in the forum, I don't have any extra privileges beyond just a STS in clerksupport.lds.org.

Could this be an issue of how one goes into the area? I used "clerksupport".
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
hendricksonmd

Post by hendricksonmd »

Follow up information.

I have now tried this on 4 different computers, all of which had various versions of IE and Chrome. Two of them had Firefox. One of the computers was our meeting house computer. I see the same problem with every browser on all computers. I have even tried it on my Android phone with the same result. I work for the Church in the ICS department. I can help troubleshoot this problem if you would like. (hendricksonmd@ldschurch.org) My Bishop is asking me to do some things that i have never done before, so I need to get into the help pages.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

hendricksonmd wrote:One of the computers was our meeting house computer. ... I work for the Church in the ICS department.
Can you try on while on a network completely outside of church? (Not 10.x.x.x) Because that's what I'm doing and it's working for me.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
hendricksonmd

Post by hendricksonmd »

One of the computers I tried was my home computer which is not connected to the Church network.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm at a loss to explain why it works for me. Since it's not working for you, can you figure out at what point it dies? Bad server name? Bad link?

aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:I'm at a loss to explain why it works for me. Since it's not working for you, can you figure out at what point it dies? Bad server name? Bad link?
I reported here that my issue with Firefox had been resolved by an update. But I tried again this morning and now Firefox is no longer working. But Chrome and IE continued to work. A bit of further investigation showed that my browser theory was incorrect -- the question is whether you are signed in to LDS.org or not. I was signed in on Firefox, and so it failed, but on Chrome and IE I was not signed in, so it worked. So my assumption that the Firefox update made a difference was irrelevant -- my session with LDS.org had just happened to expire.

It's not a matter of following a link within RKATS -- it's the links to the articles themselves that don't work. It's as if the pages don't exist when accessed when you are signed in to LDS.org. But when you are signed out, the pages can be accessed just fine (assuming they are pages visible with no special permissions).

For example, I can go to a page such as Media Players and Displays. I chose that page because it requires no permissions -- it is visible to anyone without being signed in to LDS.org. When I am signed out from LDS.org, I can see that in any browser. But as soon as I sign in, I get a Page Not Found error.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:
hendricksonmd wrote:I am having the same problem using IE 11.0.9600.17207 and Chrome 36.0.1985.125
Odd. I just tested with those exact same versions and it's working for me. Despite my title in the forum, I don't have any extra privileges beyond just a STS in clerksupport.lds.org.
You didn't mention specifically whether you were signed in to LDS.org or not (although the fact that you just posted to LDSTech would seem to indicate that you were). Could you test that precise case?

For me, it is 100% reproducible. If I am signed out from LDS.org I can see the Media Players and Displays page; if I then sign in to LDS.org, I get Page Not Found when viewing the exact same URL. I sign out, and the page reappears when I refresh. And the same is true for many other RKATS pages (but not all); I'm just using that page as a consistently-reproducible scenario.
russellhltn wrote:Could this be an issue of how one goes into the area? I used "clerksupport".
No. I can go straight to the link https://www.lds.org/help/support/meetin ... s?lang=eng and it fails if I'm signed in to LDS.org, and succeeds if I am not.
hendricksonmd

Post by hendricksonmd »

Yes, I am having the exact same experience. I am using the following link: https://www.lds.org/help/support/applic ... r?lang=eng. If I am not logged in, I can get to the page. If I am logged in I can not. They are the exact same URL. The one that I really want to get to is https://www.lds.org/help/support/financ ... s?lang=eng
If I go to this not logged in I get a page telling me to log in. If I am logged in I get the page not found error.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Good News! :) :)

The engineers have found and fixed the problem. It turns out that it affected only those with multiple callings, which explains why some people saw the problem, and others didn't.

Once again, the LDSTech community was the first to report a problem, and these reports led directly to the problem being fixed. Thanks to all who participated in this discussion!
hendricksonmd

Post by hendricksonmd »

Yes, I noticed. I tried it again a while ago and it just started working, so I assumed that someone fixed it. Thank you very much.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”