HT district supervisor

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
kirtkennedy

HT district supervisor

Post by kirtkennedy »

I'm trying to make changes in the HT organization and can't see how to change a District Supervisor.
When I go into HT>Companionships I see where you can bring up the current District Supervisors and I see the the drop down arrow adjacent to the current supervisor however it only allows me to select one of the CURRENT supervisors and does not allow me to enter a new individual to fill that role?...how do you change supervisors?
jonesrk
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: HT district supervisor

Post by jonesrk »

The drop down should show those in the presidency and those with the HT district supervisor calling, so if you don't see the person listed you may need to add them in the calling first.
kirtkennedy

Post by kirtkennedy »

I'm trying to install a District Supervisor in the High Priest Group who's Priesthood is Elder.
Is this not allowed? He is attached to the HP Group. Apparently the system won't allow?
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

kirtkennedy wrote:I'm trying to install a District Supervisor in the High Priest Group who's Priesthood is Elder.
Is this not allowed? He is attached to the HP Group. Apparently the system won't allow?
The system does not allow an elder to be assigned as a home teaching district supervisor in the high priests group.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

scgallafent wrote:The system does not allow an elder to be assigned as a home teaching district supervisor in the high priests group.
Any chance of running this by the Priesthood Committee? It seems like if this is a desired restriction, it should be in the Handbook. It's sad to call someone to a position and only when they go to record it do they find they can't.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

russellhltn wrote:
scgallafent wrote:The system does not allow an elder to be assigned as a home teaching district supervisor in the high priests group.
Any chance of running this by the Priesthood Committee? It seems like if this is a desired restriction, it should be in the Handbook. It's sad to call someone to a position and only when they go to record it do they find they can't.
Actually, as I read the Handbook, I don't see any justification for having anyone function as a Home Teaching District Supervisor except for an actual member of the Elders Quorum Presidency or the High Priests Group Leadership. So the restriction you are asking about is already in the Handbook.

Note that Handbook 2, Section 7.4.4 simply says: "Quorum and group leaders receive monthly home teaching reports from each companionship." There is no mention of anyone else being authorized to receive monthly HT reports.

That's different from Handbook 2, Section 9.5.4, which says regarding Visiting Teaching: "The Relief Society presidency or those who are called to assist them receive monthly reports from visiting teachers" (emphasis added).

That does raise the question as to why MLS and LCR allow non-leaders to be put in the HT District Supervisor calling, but that would be a different topic.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aebrown wrote:That does raise the question as to why MLS and LCR allow non-leaders to be put in the HT District Supervisor calling, but that would be a different topic.
Valid point, and one that probably should be resolved first.

But if the calling is in the system, and there is a restriction on who can hold it, it would be nice if that was outlined in the Handbook. Even if it's just broad wording stating all callings in the HP must be held by a HP, unless stated otherwise.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

russellhltn wrote:
I know there has been some review going on, but don't know if this specific item is being addressed. Feedback (either through the LCR feedback form or through a question from your stake president to his area authority seventy) would be the best way to approach this.
kirtkennedy

Post by kirtkennedy »

Not only does this affect HT District Supervisors, it also affects instructors. We have 2 different instructors in our HP Group that are not ordained HP's and LCR won't allow them to be put in that calling. They've served there for some time now. Do we release them?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kirtkennedy wrote:Not only does this affect HT District Supervisors, it also affects instructors. We have 2 different instructors in our HP Group that are not ordained HP's and LCR won't allow them to be put in that calling. They've served there for some time now. Do we release them?
Handbook 2: 7.3.4: "Likewise, the high priests group leader or one of his assistants calls and sets apart one or more high priests to serve as high priests group instructors."

The alternative is to ordain them to HP.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”