New HT and VT not syncing with MLS

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
joshbingham

New HT and VT not syncing with MLS

Post by joshbingham »

In the release notes for the new HT/VT function it stated, "While the data will still be visible in MLS, leaders and clerks will be required to use LCR to update this information"

When I check in MLS, the data is not updated to changes made in LCR. Is this a bug? I figured what this meant was once we made changes in LCR, if we opened MLS and did a send and receive, the data in MLS would be updated. Was I incorrect?

This is a CRITICAL function for our ward since we sometimes need to export a CSV file of home and visiting teaching data, which is not offered through LCR.

Help??

-Josh
Ward Clerk
Josh Bingham
Ward Clerk - Palo Alto Foothills Ward (California)
eblood66

Re: New HT and VT not syncing with MLS

Post by eblood66 »

joshbingham wrote:In the release notes for the new HT/VT function it stated, "While the data will still be visible in MLS, leaders and clerks will be required to use LCR to update this information"
A more accurate statement would be that 'existing data will still be visible in MLS'. Basically, you can still view whatever was entered before the new release but any new information is in LCR exclusively. After a certain transition period they will be removing the ability to view the old information in MLS as well (but no specific time frame has been released for that yet).
joshbingham wrote: This is a CRITICAL function for our ward since we sometimes need to export a CSV file of home and visiting teaching data, which is not offered through LCR.
You'll have to get along without that because no export will be made available from LCR and the export in MLS is going to be removed as well.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

The LCR release notes say "Changes made to home and visiting teaching in LCR will not be viewable or updatable in MLS."
joshbingham

Post by joshbingham »

Everyone thanks for the info.

But seriously, we NEED the CSV file export/functionality. Our ward is in the heart of silicon valley and we wrote an extensive Home and Visiting Teaching software system (about 10 years ago) and we use the exported CSV file to upload to our server that populates our whole system. This system was presented to the church many years ago, and they loved it and used some of our ideas for this new Home and Visiting Teaching beta system on LDS.org. However, it lacks in features that our system has. One features that is missing that is critical is the ability to "comment" on how the person/family is doing. Just checking a box to report the visit happened doesn't give priesthood and auxiliary leaders much info on how the ward members are doing from month to month. I am hoping that is a feature they plan on adding in the future.

Can someone please get the feedback about CSV exports to the project manager(s) of this new function? I promise you many, many wards will want/need this. Just like in MLS you can restrict the ability to export to just a few key leadership positions, just like you do in MLS now....Bishopric & Ward Clerk.
Josh Bingham
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

joshbingham wrote:Can someone please get the feedback about CSV exports to the project manager(s) of this new function?
I'm pretty sure this was handed down by the Priesthood Department. You'd have better luck with an appeal though the stake president to the area authority.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

joshbingham wrote:One features that is missing that is critical is the ability to "comment" on how the person/family is doing. Just checking a box to report the visit happened doesn't give priesthood and auxiliary leaders much info on how the ward members are doing from month to month. I am hoping that is a feature they plan on adding in the future.
It sounds like your system has self reporting. We've already been told that there are no plans for self reporting. We've also had multiple indications that even if self reporting were to be implemented, comments almost certainly would not. The privacy problems are just too big. Not only are there likely legal problems (especially in some countries with more restrictions than the US) but the idea that the church had a database of notes about the personal situations of members could damage the church's image and it's missionary efforts.
joshbingham wrote:Can someone please get the feedback about CSV exports to the project manager(s) of this new function? I promise you many, many wards will want/need this. Just like in MLS you can restrict the ability to export to just a few key leadership positions, just like you do in MLS now....Bishopric & Ward Clerk.
The official ways of providing feedback are through the Feedback link in LCR or, as russellhltn said, via the priesthood lines of authority. You are certainly free to try both means.

However, I'm rather certain that the decision makers are well aware that people are using the exports for things like this and would like to keep it. But such uses are already questionable given current policy (see 4.9.3 of the Meetinghouse Technology Policy) and the removal of the exports may be an effort to stop inappropriate uses. Not that I'm saying your ward and/or stake's use is against policy--I don't know that and it's not my place to judge--but there are uses that are not approved and the general authorities that make these decisions are obviously concerned enough about those uses to block them by removing the export abilities. To change their minds you'll likely need to convince them that the benefits out-weight the risks they see.
joshbingham

Post by joshbingham »

Thanks eblood66 for responding. I love these forums.

Actually, no, we do not have self-reporting in our system...which is username and password protected.

Thanks for the advice on giving feedback through the Priesthood leaders. I would love to explain in greater detail how comments are invaluable in the process for Bishop's, EQPs, and RSPs staying up-to-date on the members of their flocks and in some cases, respond with appropriate actions (thanks, congrats, or offers to help with certain struggles).

Lastly, just to inform you, our system isn't against policy...SLC approved it years ago and applauded our efforts to try and create a system that helps everyone involved in the HT/VT process to be more effective in their assignments.

Thanks brother and have a wonderful day,

-Josh
Josh Bingham
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

joshbingham wrote:Lastly, just to inform you, our system isn't against policy...SLC approved it years ago and applauded our efforts to try and create a system that helps everyone involved in the HT/VT process to be more effective in their assignments.
If you still have a contact there, it might be worth checking with them. Perhaps an exception can be made, or they can explain why things have changed.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

joshbingham wrote:Thanks for the advice on giving feedback through the Priesthood leaders. I would love to explain in greater detail how comments are invaluable in the process for Bishop's, EQPs, and RSPs staying up-to-date on the members of their flocks and in some cases, respond with appropriate actions (thanks, congrats, or offers to help with certain struggles).
I am quite certain they would agree with you. After all, that is the reason why we report our home teaching during priesthood interviews to our priesthood leaders.
ctarbet

Post by ctarbet »

I was just called as Visiting Teaching Coordinator and, along with a new RS President, just completely re-did VT assignments in our ward. I logged on to LCR, made all of the changes (took several hours!) and need to export this information to .csv so I can create form letters (using mail merge) to send to the sisters with their new assignments. In searching how to do this I found this thread and am now concerned that there is no possible way to do this, meaning I will have to take many, many hours to input the information manually, OR find a way to repeat the updates in MLS (can I even export this information in .csv there?) Being able to export seems like a fairly common need, seems strange to not be able to do that. Any help?

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”