"Send a Message" Function on LCR

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
docrg

Re: "Send a Message" Function on LCR

Post by docrg »

I have a calling but no access to LCR.
Is it possible to send group email messages through LDS Tools or Church website?
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

docrg wrote:I have a calling but no access to LCR.
Is it possible to send group email messages through LDS Tools or Church website?
No. In this situation you are limited to copy and paste to create an email list or, enlist the aid of a leader that has Send a Message access.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
jasonpbyu

Post by jasonpbyu »

Why would they have taken access away for secretary position? Our RS secretary was able to send messages last month, but now she cannot. I saw in here some saying that secretary does not have that access, but she sent me an email that she had sent out, and she indeed had that access. "You received this email because you made your email address available to your local Church leaders. It was sent by (member name), whose calling is Relief Society Secretary."

Anyone know why they would have changed that?
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

jasonpbyu wrote:Why would they have taken access away for secretary position? Our RS secretary was able to send messages last month, but now she cannot. I saw in here some saying that secretary does not have that access, but she sent me an email that she had sent out, and she indeed had that access. "You received this email because you made your email address available to your local Church leaders. It was sent by (member name), whose calling is Relief Society Secretary."

Anyone know why they would have changed that?
I just tested and my ward's Relief Society Secretary's access is working. Is she looking in the right place for it?
devoid99

Post by devoid99 »

Is anyone having issues with members not being able to open attachments sent through the tool? It's only happening with some members as others can open them. We're sending out our ward program on Saturday as a pdf and some can't open it or get a corrupted file message.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

Yes, I have had difficulty opening a PDF attachment sent through the tool. Yes, the system had corrupted the file. The problem has been reported through official and sideband channels. If I remember correctly, I was told a new version of the tool is being developed, and this problem has been brought to the attention of at least some level of the development organization to make sure the new version does not repeat the problem. I'm not aware of any workaround that can be done by the sender.

There is a workaround that some technically-oriented recipients may be able to use to recover the original PDF file, particularly those recipients who are using Linux with moderate command-line skills:
  • 1) Save the whole message as a single file.
    2) Use a text editor or similar tool to extract just the block of lines that contains the base64-encoded PDF attachment.
    3) On Linux, use the 'base64' command with the '-d' and '-i' options to decode and ignore garbage.
    4) If you want to really roll up your sleeves, delete the 0x00 and 0x80 bytes that have been appended to most lines and the 0x20 (space) character that has been prepended to some lines. Then, use base64 to decode the attachment.
ss26

Post by ss26 »

I'm a stake clerk and get a number of questions on "Send a Message" access. For example, we have a stake humanitarian services committee that's doing some great work across the stake and would like to easily coordinate with Relief Society and Elders Quorums via e-mail without having to create and maintain their own e-mail list. Our stake president asked me to dig into this so here I am.

In reading through the forum, it appears a common answers to a question like this include:
  • "In your calling you don't work with individual members so you don't need access" I can appreciate the concept but it doesn't match the reality of callings like stake relief society/primary/young women . . . (who interact with ward presidencies).
  • "Send your message to someone who has access and ask them to pass it along." Doable but quite clunky . . . if folks are trying to further the work, why make it hard?
I suspect in our privacy sensitive world, this policy is about erring on the side of caution; still:
  • If anyone can shed additional insight on this so I can explain it to the frustrated folks who just want to be effective in their callings, I'd appreciate it!
  • Better yet, if there's a group that reviews requests like this to consider adjusting policy, I'd love to know how to contact them?
Thanks in advance!!!
ss26

Post by ss26 »

In our stake, the stake president sends weekly e-mails through Send a Message. I've had a number of stake members say they aren't getting the e-mails (I'm the stake clerk). Our stake president says he's including these folks but it doesn't show up in the spam/junk-mail or anywhere else they can see. I have this same problem (of not receiving them on a consistent basis).

So far, the people that have brought it to my attention have GMail. Is there a way for church employees to trace what happened to these missing messages? Is there a department I should contact to ask about this?

Thanks for any info!
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ss26 wrote:In reading through the forum, it appears a common answers to a question like this include:
  • "In your calling you don't work with individual members so you don't need access" I can appreciate the concept but it doesn't match the reality of callings like stake relief society/primary/young women . . . (who interact with ward presidencies).
That is typically the response for those who want the entire group and not just the leaders. For example, a Stake YM President who want to see the list of all YM in the stake. That doesn't seem to be the case in your situation.

I don't know why there isn't a better solution for the Stake YM President to email all of the Ward YM Presidencies.
ss26 wrote:if there's a group that reviews requests like this to consider adjusting policy, I'd love to know how to contact them?
You can submit it via "feedback" on the main website, but I don't know how much consideration it will get.

The other route is the Stake President talks to the Area Authority to kick it up the chain of authority.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

ss26 wrote:...

So far, the people that have brought it to my attention have GMail. Is there a way for church employees to trace what happened to these missing messages? Is there a department I should contact to ask about this?

Thanks for any info!
The method to contact official support/help is to use the 'Feedback' link or button.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”