"Send a Message" Function on LCR

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
clarkgw

Re: "Send a Message" Function on LCR

Post by clarkgw »

is there a way to turn on or off the cc or bcc function when sending a message on LCR?
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

clarkgw wrote:is there a way to turn on or off the cc or bcc function when sending a message on LCR?
No, you can't control the CC vs. BCC choice.

If you're sending a message to leaders (ward council, for example), it will send the message using CC so that replies go back to the group -- essentially trying to make it possible to start an email discussion.

If your distribution list includes members outside of the "leadership" scope, the system treats the message as a broadcast announcement and sends BCC messages.
wilbur99

Post by wilbur99 »

Hello, I'm both a ward clerk and Exec Sec and have used the "Send a Message" function for a while, but am wondering, Is there possibly a way that I can include email address that are not in my ward, stake or perhaps not even in the church?

Also, is there a manner in which I could add an eclectic set of members in one click, instead of many different ones?

Thank you
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Afraid not. I know our exec sec wants to include the missionaries when he sends a message to the ward council, but that is not an option.

Yesterday, the stake presidency asked us to forward a message to all youth in our ward AND their parents. While it is easy to select Young Men and Young Women, I had to manually select their parents from the list of adults. An hour later, the stake presidency sent out a Zoom link for the same group of people. Ugh. I had to manually select them again.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

drepouille wrote:Yesterday, the stake presidency asked us to forward a message to all youth in our ward AND their parents. While it is easy to select Young Men and Young Women, I had to manually select their parents from the list of adults. An hour later, the stake presidency sent out a Zoom link for the same group of people. Ugh. I had to manually select them again.
We covered that specific use case.
parents-of-youth.png
parents-of-youth.png (24.72 KiB) Viewed 3285 times
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

scgallafent wrote:We covered that specific use case.
How does that work in the case of guardians?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

russellhltn wrote:
It has been long enough since I touched that code that I don't remember.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

scgallafent wrote:
russellhltn wrote:
It has been long enough since I touched that code that I don't remember.
I decided to quit being lazy and go back though a prior conversation. It appears it only goes to those who are both listed as the child's parents and are in the household.

That does leave legal guardians out, but the problem is they couldn't be included without making assumptions about the data. So, it would appear that guardians have to be included manually.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

russellhltn wrote:It appears it only goes to those who are both listed as the child's parents and are in the household.

That does leave legal guardians out, but the problem is they couldn't be included without making assumptions about the data. So, it would appear that guardians have to be included manually.
That is consistent with the approach we are taking with some other tools.
cntaylor

Post by cntaylor »

Is there a way to improve the formatting of messages that go out using this function. For example, I regularly send out Zoom meeting links to my ward. While the information (link, time, phone numbers to call in, etc.) are nicely formatted when I copy them in, the "send a message" removes all of the return characters making a mess of the link and running together the invitations to all the different meetings. Tomorrow for church, we have deacons, teachers, priests, young women, Relief Society and Elders Quorum. Each one has its own zoom link. Each one is copied into a different part of the e-mail message. But when it is sent to the ward, they are all combined into one big paragraph which is, to put it mildly, frustrating. Is there some way we can manually put in a "put a new paragraph here" type of command so that when I want there to white space, there is white space?

In general, if you want a test case, I would suggest copying and pasting something in from another document. No fancy formatting required. But by default it seems to erase all new lines.

Thanks!

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”