"Send a Message" Function on LCR

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: "Send a Message" Function on LCR

Post by lajackson »

dtlindsa wrote:If there is a better way to get this bug information to the developers, I would be happy to use it. Does anyone know a better way?
Two things. Sending feedback as you did is the best way to get information to the developers. Though you have not received a response, they do review all of the feedback they receive.

Depending on your email address, it is possible that LCR is sending the message but your service provider (or one in between) is not forwarding the message. As an example, we know that LCR messages sent to a byu address are not forwarded by byu to the final recipient. I believe there are other situations similar to that.

I agree that it would be nice to know who received an LCR message. But I think sometimes LCR does not know if the message got to the end of the row.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I don't know if this is fixed, but I have seen problems with members who use Yahoo mail. Yahoo seems to be overactive at rejecting Send a Message emails. SBCGlobal uses Yahoo as it's email provider so that is (was) affected as well. If this is what is going on for you, it is not a problem with the Send A Message tool - it is a Yahoo problem that would need to be reported to them. In our case, our bishopric member changed to gmail for his church account and all his problems with receiving the messages were resolved.
chriswoodut

Post by chriswoodut »

dtlindsa wrote:LCR Messaging messages from local leaders are consistently dropped to specific recipients with no notice to sender or recipient.

No messages from my local leaders (bishop, stake president, elders president, etc.) sent using LCR messaging to the email address in my church profile are received. My wife receives the set of such messages appropriate to her. As a user of LCR, I can produce this result at will. When I send a message from LCR to myself and my wife, she receives it and I do not. I also do not receive the confirmation message Messaging says I will receive.

To report this bug I clicked Do you have feedback on this page from the LCR home page as suggested in this forum. The page I reached is a feedback page asking me to rate my experience with the page. I filled in a report of this bug as Comments and gave my email address. I have received no response in the week since I posted the bug. I had at least hoped for an acknowledgement of the posting.

Some details which I included:

EXAMPLE: My Elders president sent new ministering assignments (using LCR messaging). I did not receive an email. He sent it again. Again I didn’t receive it. He got no error messages.

The last *local* leader communication I received was on 1/27/2018, From: <noreply@ldschurch.org>, [San Jose Stake] Stake Choir Rehearsal. It was sent by <name>, whose calling is Stake Clerk.

This bug does not seem to affect messages from the church general leadership. For example, I received one on 6 Apr 2020.

This may be related to the fact that my wife and I formerly (for many years) had the same email address in our church profiles. She recently changed her email address. Now she gets local leader emails, but I still do not.

As a test, I sent an email to my wife and myself using LCR Messaging on 12 April 2020. Before sending, I floated my cursor over our names and our expected emails were displayed. “From” shows my name and email. I sent it. Messaging responded “Your message is being sent. You will receive a confirmation email when message sending is complete.”

I received neither the confirmation email nor the email message. My wife received the email message promptly. No visible errors were generated by creating and sending this email.

As the sending leader, from this test, I would have assumed that my email was sent to both my wife and myself. However, the email was never sent to me.

It is not acceptable for a messaging system to selectively discard messages to valid addresses without notification to the sender or intended recipient. Here are suggested messages. To the sender: “You tried to send an email to <recipient> through LCR messaging but it was not sent due to an error in … .” To the intended recipient: “<Sender> who is the <unit name> Elders Quorum president attempted to send you an email but it was not sent due to an error in … . Visit <link> to resolve this issue.”

If there is a better way to get this bug information to the developers, I would be happy to use it. Does anyone know a better way? I'm sure I'm not the only person not getting local leader guidance in this current situation due to this bug.
Most likely your email address is doing spam filtering and is detecting all emails as spam. I personally think similar problems also appears as a sender-recipient pair problem. Your email company/admin is likely throwing away the email without the church email system even knowing.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dtlindsa wrote:No messages from my local leaders (bishop, stake president, elders president, etc.) sent using LCR messaging to the email address in my church profile are received. My wife receives the set of such messages appropriate to her. As a user of LCR, I can produce this result at will. When I send a message from LCR to myself and my wife, she receives it and I do not. I also do not receive the confirmation message Messaging says I will receive.
I notice your email is a byu.net address.

You might want to read this thread and this thread. Issues with byu.net addresses have been ongoing for some time.

Simply put, any email alias system adds a layer of things to go wrong with emails.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I find it oddly funny that the Church's send a message app is blocked by the Church's university. One would think that they would share on occasion... :-)
dtlindsa

Post by dtlindsa »

russellhltn's message on Sun Apr 19, 2020 was especially helpful to me. I had not found the 2 threads to which he referred. I had concluded that LCR Messaging was not sending the message to my byu.net email address. But a post in one of those other threads by 2cougars detailed how he worked with an admin at byu.net, and they were able to determine that an email sent by LCR Messaging, if it was sent, did not arrive at byu.net. That seems telling to me. Here's a reference: viewtopic.php?f=92&t=31531&p=183209&hil ... ng#p199065

I wish that there was a way to submit a bug report on LCR Messaging and actually be able to track it and see how it was closed, rather than just throw it into the hopper and hope that the resolution will be obvious from changed program behavior. Since 2courgars' post was on Jul 29, 2019, about 8 months ago, it seems obvious that the church does not intend to address the problem in such a way that byu.net addresses will be usable. I guess I will be forced to change my email strategy so that my church profile sends directly to my ISP email which I have normally kept hidden so that others do not depend on that address. Or I will need to set up a third email independent of my ISP and have my ISP open that email also.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

dtlindsa wrote:it seems obvious that the church does not intend to address the problem in such a way that byu.net addresses will be usable.
It may not be that "the church does not intend to address the problem..." It may simply be a resource issue where this problem is not high enough on the priority list to get programming resources.

That said, the fact the BYU seems to not forward the church emails but no one else has reported problems with any other mail service (except Yahoo/SBCGlobal which rejects most of them outright) leads me to believe the problem is with the BYU email infrastructure which might be a completely different group from those working at CHQ. If I was using a BYU email address, I would reach out to them first and ask them to investigate why their service is dropping emails from the church. It appears the messages are delivered to the BYU email server so the problem likely resides there.

But, I'm not a programmer and have no special knowledge. I'm just trying to think logically given the many and varied posts on several threads related to this topic.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dtlindsa wrote:Or I will need to set up a third email independent of my ISP and have my ISP open that email also.
My personal suggestion is to get a email independent from your ISP. That way you can keep that email even if you move, change ISPs, or if your ISP is bought out/merges/renames.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dtlindsa

Post by dtlindsa »

davesudweeks wrote:
"the fact th[at] BYU seems to not forward the church emails... It appears the messages are delivered to the BYU email server "
2 cougars reports exactly the opposite in his posting at https://tech.churchofjesuschrist.org/fo ... ng#p199065 from which I quote (underline is mine):
2cougars said:
I just got off the phone with BYU IT and they are calling the church support. One of the BYU help desk techs set up a new byu.net email and changed his church account to his new byu.net email address. He did not receive the verification email either. They were watching on the byu.net side of things and nothing arrived at their servers from the church domain. Church support said to submit feedback through the main church website.

Bottom line is the church systems were changed a few months ago and they will no longer send any emails to byu.net addresses. They need to fix the issue. It's not user error.
My conclusion from 2cougars reported discussion with byu.net system administrators is that byu.net servers do NOT receive expected messages from LCR Messaging which are directed to byu.net email addresses. For this reason byu.net IT contacted church support.

Since 2cougars interaction with byu.net IT and their interaction with church support seems without question to indicate that the problem is with LCR messaging, and this occurred on Jul 29, 2019, and nothing has yet been done to address the problem, I despair to think that anything else could be done by myself as a user to encourage the problem to be fixed. During the past week I took the only action open to me with my current email setup, which was to put my ISP email address, with @comcast.net, into my church profile instead of the @byu.net address which has been there for many, many years. After doing so, emails from local leaders resumed, including emails about local virtual Sunday meetings announced by my ward leaders. Thus my current problem of receiving local leader communication has been solved, but not in the way which I hoped.
veehb

Post by veehb »

These comments are all very old. No current support???

I"m trying to send a message to the adult members in our stake from the stake presidency. "Send a Message" will not work. I've tried for over an hour and keep getting the message "There was an error sending your message. Please try again later."

So, if anyone sees this. Will this function be working this week-end? It is Friday night and this message needs to get to the members of our stake before Sunday.

Seems strange that this forum is no longer used or monitored.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”