"Send a Message" Function on LCR

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
davesudweeks

Re: "Send a Message" Function on LCR

Postby davesudweeks » Fri Feb 05, 2021 11:49 am

ayoward wrote:...am I right in thinking there is no way to set up your own list through the Send a Message function?

This is correct. You can include or exclude anyone from the message, but you cannot save a custom list in the tool. (Personal opinion: I don't think the Send a Message tool was originally designed to be used the way many are trying to use it.)

A work-around that preserves the contact information: If members who seek no contact don't have a household email, the clerk can move their personal email to the household email position - the send a message tool only sends to the personal email address.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:48 pm

davesudweeks wrote:A work-around that preserves the contact information: If members who seek no contact don't have a household email, the clerk can move their personal email to the household email position - the send a message tool only sends to the personal email address.

However, that's likely to effectively cancel any subscriptions the member had, such as from the main church, about their donations, or emails about their calling.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

davesudweeks

Postby davesudweeks » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:36 pm

russellhltn wrote:
davesudweeks wrote:A work-around that preserves the contact information: If members who seek no contact don't have a household email, the clerk can move their personal email to the household email position - the send a message tool only sends to the personal email address.

However, that's likely to effectively cancel any subscriptions the member had, such as from the main church, about their donations, or emails about their calling.

That is true. And I suppose there are those who want official communications but not unofficial chatting from everyone who reaches out to them. However, in my experience, most who don't want contact, really don't want ANY contact unless they initiate it.

russellhltn
Community Administrator

Postby russellhltn » Fri Feb 05, 2021 7:35 pm

davesudweeks wrote:That is true. And I suppose there are those who want official communications but not unofficial chatting from everyone who reaches out to them. However, in my experience, most who don't want contact, really don't want ANY contact unless they initiate it.

I think there's two groups: Those who don't want ANY contact, and those who do want some contact, but feel the local leaders are far too chatty. They want to be left off the routine bulletins that are designed to foster "involvement" or "connectiveness".

For the latter group, you're not going to want to mess with their emails, so you're still stuck with the manual removal method for them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”