"Send a Message" Function on LCR

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
jbstanford
New Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:01 am

Re: "Send a Message" Function on LCR

Postby jbstanford » Mon May 17, 2021 12:48 pm

Hello,

I'm dealing with a bug/issue with the "Send a message" tool. If I sent out a message with text, it sends fine. However, if I include a link at all, it doesn't go through and appear correctly - but if I include an attachment, it comes through fine either way.

I've tested several times and determined it is the presence of a link that breaks it - is this expected? This is problematic because I need to send our links for online meetings out, but they aren't received. It does appear to be specific to the way the message is formatted somehow, as it shows up correctly on some mobile devices and gmail web, but not other desktop email clients.

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 30734
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: "Send a Message" Function on LCR

Postby russellhltn » Mon May 17, 2021 12:53 pm

It's possible that you're sending the link as just text. Some email clients and most web browsers will recognize web addresses in the text and automatically make them links - but not all. That sounds like what you're running into.

Is there anything in the message formatting for Send A Message that addresses links?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

jbstanford
New Member
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 9:01 am

Re: "Send a Message" Function on LCR

Postby jbstanford » Mon May 17, 2021 1:01 pm

Sorry for not clarifying - the message comes through entirely blank where it isn't displayed - not formatted incorrectly or not as a link.

That said, it looks like if I use the "Link" tool to embed it as an HTML link it works. Thx for the pointer - a bit annoying (since this is reoccurring and needs to be sent out weekly, so I can't copy/paste) but if I manually use that option to put it in that works.

Thx!

chriswoodut
Member
Posts: 403
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:42 am
Location: Utah

Re: "Send a Message" Function on LCR

Postby chriswoodut » Mon May 17, 2021 1:26 pm

jbstanford wrote:Sorry for not clarifying - the message comes through entirely blank where it isn't displayed - not formatted incorrectly or not as a link.

That said, it looks like if I use the "Link" tool to embed it as an HTML link it works. Thx for the pointer - a bit annoying (since this is reoccurring and needs to be sent out weekly, so I can't copy/paste) but if I manually use that option to put it in that works.


I know we format our sacrament program in google docs (as I mentioned 4 messages above). If we create a link in google doc using ctrl-k, the link survives the cut and paste into 'send a message' and works on the receiving end (android, etc).

46kevin
New Member
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:10 pm

Re: "Send a Message" Function on LCR

Postby 46kevin » Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:14 am

I was told I can create a custom list using "Create a Report" in the "Reports" menu, then can somehow access that created custom list in "Send a Message".

In "Send a Message" I can find no way to access any custom reports I have created.

How is that done? Or is there a work around?

davesudweeks
Senior Member
Posts: 2105
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 8:16 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA

Re: "Send a Message" Function on LCR

Postby davesudweeks » Mon Jun 28, 2021 3:44 pm

46kevin wrote:I was told I can create a custom list using "Create a Report" in the "Reports" menu, then can somehow access that created custom list in "Send a Message".

In "Send a Message" I can find no way to access any custom reports I have created.

How is that done? Or is there a work around?

I don't think the Send a Message tool is linked to custom reports. I would ask whoever told you that to show you how - I think it was wishful thinking on their part...

russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 30734
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: "Send a Message" Function on LCR

Postby russellhltn » Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:15 pm

Could a custom report be used to generate a list of emails that could then be cut and pasted into send a message?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

lajackson
Community Moderators
Posts: 10178
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:27 pm
Location: US

Re: "Send a Message" Function on LCR

Postby lajackson » Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:58 pm

russellhltn wrote:Could a custom report be used to generate a list of emails that could then be cut and pasted into send a message?

Send a Message does not let you enter email addresses. Your only option is to select the member and allow SaM to use the email address on their record.


Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest