MP recommend process?

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
harrisjd

MP recommend process?

Post by harrisjd »

What is the recommended process for MP ordinations?

Sometimes I get the MP advancement form filled out by the Bishop, other times I get it from the SP with his signature, other times it's completed and handed to me by a HC.

With the online MP update, I'd like to put together a standardized process. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

(I'm a stake clerk)
drepouille

Re: MP recommend process?

Post by drepouille »

The last time I read the fine print instructions on the MP ordination form, it said that both the ward clerk and the stake clerk should receive copies of the completed form. When I was stake clerk, I asked the stake presidency and high councilors to leave a copy of the completed form with the ward clerk, and bring the completed original to me. It didn't matter to me whether the ward or the stake recorded the ordination, although now it looks like only the stake may record it. As stake clerk, I needed to print the certificate and get it signed. Then I needed to add the ordination to the ratification list for the next stake conference or stake general priesthood meeting.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

drepouille wrote:It didn't matter to me whether the ward or the stake recorded the ordination, although now it looks like only the stake may record it.
That is correct. Now, only the stake can record a Melchizedek Priesthood ordination in LCR. I believe it is still good policy to give a copy of the ordination information to the ward clerk, so that he can follow up if the ordination is not timely recorded by the stake.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

drepouille wrote:The last time I read the fine print instructions on the MP ordination form, it said that both the ward clerk and the stake clerk should receive copies of the completed form.
Where does this completed form come from? The fine print on the MP Ordination Record (Ward) now says that the ward keeps the form on file until the next membership audit. The ward does not send the form to the stake.

So, when the bishop sends the recommendation to the stake using LCR, does the stake print out a form for a member of the presidency to use in their interview, or does the stake just get the list of pending ordinations?

Does the stake then give a form to a counselor or high councilor to represent the stake at the ordination? Can the stake presidency (probably) or high councilor (perhaps?) access the list of pending MP ordinations?

Inquiring minds. This all seems to be a fairly recent change to the information flow process.
tlmorris

Post by tlmorris »

The online form says:
Presiding officer: Give this completed form to the stake clerk.
Clerk: Enter the ordinance information into Leader and Clerk Resources and print a certificate for the member.
File this completed form for one year.

Once the bishop submits it online, the stake presidency members, exec secretary and stake clerk can all view it under Priesthood Ordinances. In my stake, when a presidency member completes the MP interview, he prints the form out and it is given to the high councilor that will represent the stake at the ordination. Following the ordination the high councilor gives the completed form to the stake clerk to record the ordinance and print the certificate.
harrisjd

Post by harrisjd »

Thanks for the feedback.

Based on the feedback, these are the steps:

Bishop interviews and submits the form online,

This prompts stake review and then the stake interviews,

Then HC approval,

Then printed form given to HC,

HC returns form to stake after ordinations completed,

Stake Clerk records ordination and prints certificate.

Does that sound correct?
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

harrisjd wrote:Does that sound correct?
Paperwise, yes. For the complete process, after HC approval I would add sustaining in stake conference or stake general priesthood meeting. If that is not possible due to time constraints, then sustaining in sacrament meeting.

And if the latter, I would add at the end of the process ratification in a stake meeting.
harrisjd

Post by harrisjd »

Oh yes, the sustaining/ratification. Thank you for the feedback.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

After the bishop interviews the brother, he should tell the brother whom he should contact to schedule a stake interview. In my stake, all MP interviews are scheduled by the assistant Stake Exec Sec, who makes an appointment with a counselor in the stake presidency.
Since MP ordinations are now submitted to the stake via LCR, it would be lovely if LCR could be used to track them and to actually generate a sustaining list for stake conference (or stake general priesthood meeting).
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
dpalmer2508

Post by dpalmer2508 »

How soon before a young man turns 18 can you submit the online MP application? The option is not available for a young man who is 55 days before his 18th birthday. We have stake conference coming up and eve thought this young man turns 18 a couple of weeks after Stake Conference, I would still like him sustained then.

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”