MP recommend process?

Discussions about the Leader and Clerk Resources on lds.org.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Re: MP recommend process?

Post by scgallafent »

dpalmer2508 wrote:How soon before a young man turns 18 can you submit the online MP application?
One month.
gbates

Post by gbates »

I have the same question as dpalmer2508. Our stake has a stake conference in May, and usually within a month after that conference, we have a few priests who are graduating from high school, turning 18, and leaving on missions. So we ask bishops to prepare for stake conference by looking at priests who need to be ordained elders soon after the conference and start the interview and recommendation process (so the stake president has time to interview the candidate, get high council approval, and sustain the candidate in stake conference, even if he will turn 18 a couple of weeks after conference).

But ward clerks tell me that LCR requires the candidate to be 18 before the bishop can submit a recommendation for a Melchizedek Priesthood ordination. Should it allow submission earlier (say, within 60 days of his turning 18)?

If not, should we sustain the candidate without the online Melchizedek Priesthood Ordination Record? Or rather, should we not sustain the candidate in stake conference at all, but wait until he turns 18, and then complete the interview process, sustain him in his ward, let him be ordained and endowed and leave on his mission, and then ratify the ordination in the next stake conference or stake general priesthood meeting?

Since the form has an eligibility date (for candidates who are not yet 18), it seems like LCR would let us print the form a month or two before the candidate is 18. I'd even settle for the option of printing a blank form, which the ward clerk could fill out in preparation for stake conference (much as we did before online submission using LCR).

I can post these suggestion on the feedback link in LCR, but wanted to ask here to see if I was missing a policy of not starting the (rather long) interview and approval process until after the candidate is already 18.
gbates

Post by gbates »

So sorry. I missed scgallafent's reply to dpalmer2508. (It was the only post on the second page. I needed to keep reading!)

Thanks for the information. Knowing that bishops have a 30-day window before the candidate turns 18 helps me know how to instruct wards to submit ordination recommendations before stake conference.

Thanks!

Return to “Leader and Clerk Resources”